Thread: 10.4.1
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

If 10.4.1 is in the rule book and refers to the head coaches conduct and his responsibilities regarding the conduct of bench personnel, why then is coach conduct such an issue? About a third of our topics address coaches actions in the subject line and many threads eventually get around to something a coach said.

Now most of us are having the calling official go tableside when using 3 man mechanics so we can have a "sensible" conversation with the coach rather than having him yell at us across the court. I would rather have the opportunity to discuss with the coach but this rule states that coach cannot:
a. Disrespectfully address an official.
b. Attempt to influence an official's decision.
e. Objecting to an official's decision by rising from the bench or using gestures.

IMO, this needs to be driven home as a P.O.E. and I mean really driven home. I'm not speaking because I'm bitter at any coach, and I usually don't have much of a problem with them because I communicate thru out. I just think we've gotten so far from this rule that coaches need to be reeled back in. They really don't know what's protocall here.

Any thoughts here?