The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

I tell the players to look around the gym, notice all the fans. Those fans are there to watch them, not us (officials). Your coach has chosen you to be captain for a reason. Be a leader, keep your teammates in control at all times. Don't make us (officials) have to get involved, then the crowd watches us, and, remember, they're not here to watch us.

A great line I heard one of my partners use during the championship game of a holiday tournament was this:
"All of the fans here tonight expect good sportsmanship. However, we, the referees don't expect good sportsmanship tonight. WE DEMAND IT!!!"

I also loved a line another partner used for the coaches (one of the coaches is known for his whining). It went:
"Coaches, you've heard it all year, sportsmanship, time-outs, coaches boxes. Coaches boxes are clearly marked. Use them for what they're there for. I encourage you to coach as hard as you possibly can. JUST DON'T HELP US!!!"

Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I say "Don't miss any shots," and as they're grinning, one of my partners says, "and we won't miss any shots."
That was very nice of you to say that.

It was also very nice of your partner to say that too.

It was really nice what you and you're partner did.

How nice.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I say "Don't miss any shots," and as they're grinning, one of my partners says, "and we won't miss any shots."

How nice.

ROTFLMAO
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I wish I had the kind of personality and charisma some guys have to be able to joke out there and everyone just thinks you're funny when you're trying to be. I just don't have that kind of personality. Every time I've tried to be funny, I just fall on my face. Not literally - now that might be funny. I just keep it short and sweet and get the captains, who aren't listening anyway, back to their warm-ups. The captains meeting is my least favorite part of the job.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

How nice.
Except for your confusion between you're and your this was a nicely composed sentiment.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

side baskets

In a gym where there are side baskets, we point them out and tell them that if the ball touches the side baskets it's going to be out of bounds...but then again if we are shooting at the side baskets we have bigger problems than it being out of bounds....about half the time it gets a laugh...and half the time it gets a look of horror.....LOL.. I have also told captains that my partner doesn't have very good hands so you might want to walk the ball over to him rather than throw it...usually a laugh, but no one to date has walked the ball over to them...

oh yeah, and we throw in the sportsmanship, shirts, jewelry.....all that stuff...
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 04:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Except for your confusion between you're and your this was a nicely composed sentiment.
[/B][/QUOTE]Up you're's!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Re: Captains

Quote:
Originally posted by Almost Always Right
I learned along time ago that the captains don't worry about what we try to say about rules, etc.
I use this time to get them on "my side" so to speak. I try to repeat each of their names(as much as possible) so later on if I need them to help me out.
I always say something like, "You're up here for a reason(names) . . .you're leaders(names) . . .if we need you(names) please help us out . . .our names are . . .good luck"
Sometimes if it is a rivalry or a "big game" then I try to use a little brevity to lessen the tension. Self depricating humor is always fun, "As you can see we don't miss too many meals, let's hurry up and get this over."
I have even told a "Yo mama" joke on one of my partners. Of course that was an extreme situation where everyone knew everyone.
...curious as to how "a little brevity" lessens the tension?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[/B]
Up you're's! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey!

That aint nice!

Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

I try to incorporate something about the teams into my pre-game. I noticed at one of the varsity boys games a sign on their lockerroom door "NO EXCUSES". So I basically built that theme into my pre-game - "No Excuses and that includes not blaming the officials for losing a game......
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

The official I worked with tonight said, "guys you are going to miss more shots tonight, than I am going to miss calls. Don't get on me for missing any and I won't get on you." I thought that was pretty good!
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 10:14pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Ihave had partners turn that around a bit.

"We won't make any baskets so please don't make any calls."
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

I work intramurals here at college and we don't allow dunking, its a technical foul and ejection. As part of our captains meetings we tell each team this.

When I do women's games I always say "There is no dunking or touching the rim. I know when the game gets going you want to take it to the hole and jam it down, but control youselves."

I always gets a laugh and lightens the mood seeing most of the girls are barely over 5'3" or so.
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

At the end of a very brief captain's meeting (good sportsmanship, etc), my partner closed with the "You guys dont miss any shots and we wont miss any calls. Good luck."

I loved it. I thought it set a great tone. He had a smile on his face and the players dug it. Maybe not right for every situation, but I filed that one away and plan to pull it out next season.

Clark
Old Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Captains meeting is a ritual dictated by rule.

It can be worthwhile, or at officials discretion, become a waste of time.

I do enjoy a moment to "chat" with the kids, shake their hands, say hello, and establish that me and partner are credible, informed, serious but human. Being with the kids is why I do this anyway.

Officials authority in the environment of the basketball floor (it is a game) is best introduced at captains meeting firm with a smile.