The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

I need some input from you on how you would handle this:

Girls varsity game, about 5 minutes left. Team A is behind by about 35. Foul called and A1 goes to the line for 2 shots. A2 asks the coach to come out of the game so he sends a sub to the table as a replacement. A1 goes towards the bench and I tell her to stay on the court and we will sub after the first shot (I am trail in a three person crew). As A1 gets ready for the first shot the coach tells A2 something. She walks over and puts her feet on the 3 point line just about (and maybe below) free throw line extended. We ignore it. After the first fouls shot he walks over to me (in the box) and says "That was a violation". I say "You mean, on YOUR player, coach?". He says yes and wants to know why I didn't call it. It finally occurred to me he did this on purpose. Then he tells me that he doesn't care how much they are losing by, we better start calling the game because we haven't called a thing all night. I assessed a technical against him because my opinion was that he was showing up our crew by what he did. I don't have any doubt he was showing us up, but I'm not sure a technical was really warranted here. Our fourth official (waiting for the boys varsity game) said, based on the game circumstances and the score he probably would have ignored it and continued on with the game. I appreciate any thoughts you may have on how to handle this in the future? Also, if you call a T and then question yourself afterward, do you ever tell the coach after the game that you may have blown it? Thanks.

[Edited by johnnyrao on Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:53 AM]
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 12:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao
I need some input from you on how you would handle this:

Girls varsity game, about 5 minutes left. Team A is behind by about 35. Foul called and A1 goes to the line for 2 shots. A2 asks the coach to come out of the game so he sends a sub to the table as a replacement. A1 goes towards the bench and I tell her to stay on the court and we will sub after the first shot (I am trail in a three person crew). As A1 gets ready for the first shot the coach tells A2 something. She walks over and puts her feet on the 3 point line just about (and maybe below) free throw line extended. We ignore it. After the first fouls shot he walks over to me (in the box) and says "That was a violation". I say "You mean, on YOUR player, coach?". He says yes and wants to know why I didn't call it. It finally occurred to me he did this on purpose. Then he tells me that he doesn't care how much they are losing by, we better start calling the game because we haven't called a thing all night. I assessed a technical against him because my opinion was that he was showing up our crew by what he did. I don't have any doubt he was showing us up, but I'm not sure a technical was really warranted here. Our fourth official (waiting for the boys varsity game) said, based on the game circumstances and the score he probably would have ignored it and continued on with the game. I appreciate any thoughts you may have on how to handle this in the future? Also, if you call a T and then question yourself afterward, do you ever tell the coach after the game that you may have blown it? Thanks.

[Edited by johnnyrao on Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:53 AM]
I wouldn't even address the "violation" but I would call the technical on his comment. You have no reason to question yourself.

If anyone doesn't think the coach is trying to show up the crew, I have some swampland in Wisconsin I'm trying to unload.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

I'd have told him, "Nice try, but if I have to be here until this game is over, so do you."

Why would you be talking with a coach AFTER the game?

What happened after the T, did he go nuts?
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 01:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

There may be some T's you give that are "marginal." IOW, the coach barely crossed the line. The fact remains that he still got close to the line, and he was looking to take a pot shot at the officials. I might consider letting it slide on this one, but I wouldn't have any second thoughts after calling it. He earned it fair and square.
Look at it like the blatant travel in the 9th grade girls game that you may or may not overlook based on the game. If you pass on it, no big deal; but don't loose sleep over calling it. Your call was the right one here.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
I'd have told him, "Nice try, but if I have to be here until this game is over, so do you."

I appreciate everyone's response. Actually, after, it was weird. After the T he called a TO and told his book keeper to make sure our names were in his book and told me he was reporting us to the state office. Other than calling TOs he never said another word. Then he had his team foul the other team every time they got the ball for the remainder of the game. He also called all his timeouts so the last quarter lasted longer (in total time) than the other three combined. Not sure why he did that but we officiated to the end and called the fouls, including one intentional, because we did not want to get the players playing too rough and fighting. Then it was senior night and there was a long intermission between games so it made the night even longer.

[Edited by johnnyrao on Feb 8th, 2005 at 07:56 AM]
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

BZ,

I do not talk to coaches after a game but sometimes you have to pass them on the way out of the gym while they are waiting for the bus and sometimes they try and chat with you. I'm not saying to go and find a coach but if you happen to see him/her on the way out of the gym. Thanks.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I appreciate everyone's response. Actually, after, it was weird. After the T he called a TO and told his book keeper to make sure our names were in his book and told me he was reporting us to the state office. Other than calling TOs he never said another word. Then he had his team foul the other team every time they got the ball for the remainder of the game. He also called all his timeouts so the last quarter lasted longer (in total time) than the other three combined. Not sure why he did that but we officiated to the end and called the fouls, including one intentional, because we did not want to get the players playing too rough and fighting. Then it was senior night and there was a long intermission between games so it made the night even longer.

[Edited by johnnyrao on Feb 8th, 2005 at 07:56 AM]
amazing, his girls get out-hustled, out-rebounded and out-shot and it's your fault. then he trys to turn the game into a travesty and uses a HS girl to do it. i don't know how far i'd take it but i know i would talk to my assignor.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
he walks over to me (in the box) and says "That was a violation". I say "You mean, on YOUR player, coach?". He says yes and wants to know why I didn't call it.
"Given the game situation, Coach, I didn't want to embarass your player. Are you trying to embarass me?"
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

That coach is a plain jack a$$ in my book. I think he was looking for a T just to get attention to himself. I kind of like what blindzebra elluded to above. IMO if this coach wants to act that way then he's going to stay and experience this a$$ whopping unless he does the obvious to get tossed. If they're down 35 with little time left and they start deliberately fouling I'm not sure if I'd call fouls or not. I'd likely tell the coach to have his players back off or the game may end early.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Coaching 101, my team is bad, I can't coach, so make a scene about the officiating to distaract from the REAL reason we are losing by 40.

The coach WAS trying to get tossed, and was working on you low key to make you look like the bad guy.

[Edited by blindzebra on Feb 8th, 2005 at 11:42 AM]
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:51am
M.A.S.H.

I agree with both the no call on the violation and the T. Sure sounds like he was trying to show you guys up...and that should get him the seat belt.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stick
That coach is a plain jack a$$ in my book. I think he was looking for a T just to get attention to himself. I kind of like what blindzebra elluded to above. IMO if this coach wants to act that way then he's going to stay and experience this a$$ whopping unless he does the obvious to get tossed. If they're down 35 with little time left and they start deliberately fouling I'm not sure if I'd call fouls or not. I'd likely tell the coach to have his players back off or the game may end early.
You can't be serious. Your job is to call the game and protect the kids. Go ahead and call intentional fouls if you must, but those end-of-game fouls are typically the kind that can end up hurting someone if you don't keep it under control.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

Was the conversation about the violation between the two of you? If so, try to calm him down. Remind him that you are trying your best and that doesn't guarantee a perfectly called game. NO violation & NO T! He is testing your resolve! That's all!

If he is acting like a jacka$$ on the sideline...and ranting & raving, then definite T...and the next one might come a little faster if he wanted to persist.

If I heard his comments about "...reporting these guys to the state association...", then he's probably gone! I don't know how the game looked to him. Maybe you missed some calls...maybe you didn't carry on enough small talk with him during the game to keep his views in perspective. The small things are almost MORE important to take care of in a one-sided game.

Had you found a way to handle it differently, maybe nothing would have happened...and no T.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
he walks over to me (in the box) and says "That was a violation". I say "You mean, on YOUR player, coach?". He says yes and wants to know why I didn't call it.
"Given the game situation, Coach, I didn't want to embarass your player. Are you trying to embarass me?"
Good answer.
Old Tue Feb 08, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Courtesy/Respect

This guy did not deserve the courtesy or respect you afforded him by keeping him in the gym. DUMP HIM!!
I am all for keeping a lot of T's out of the game but when we go out and work as hard as we do and then he takes his insecurities out on us, we have to seek some retribution.
The bad part is that it has to be done in such a way where we look like we have no choice. Catch-22.
Sorry you had to go through that.
You probably handled it the right way but I need therapy after I go through something where we are given no rights or respect whatsoever!!
Sorry to rant!!
AAR