The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
Last week, someone mentioned that in Women's NCAA a blarge (block by one official, charge by another) is handled in a way that allows the officials to get together, decide who has the primary, and then let the primary official make the call. (As opposed to NFHS which is a double foul and A/P). I can't find this in the NCAA manual or mechancis book. Can someone help me out with this?
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.ncaa.org/sportsfrontF.html
Old Sat Feb 05, 2005, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I found the reference to the men's and I appreciate the forward but I cannot find the specific reference.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

If both officials go up with a fist, how does anyone know that one has a block and one has a charge?

When I have a double whistle, I defer to my partner if his whistle came a split second before mine or if we were both calling in the lane and he was lead. Or he defers to me if the play was coming to me, etc.

We try to pregame this (when I have a squared away partner that wants to pregame ).

The only way you would know if there was a block/charge conflict is if both officials made preliminary signals after the fist, right?

Does this happen that often?

I had a double whistle tonite as C where I called into the lane. My partner had a call at the same time. I had fist up. He had fist up. I pointed to him to say "your call, baby." He went and made the call. Now it wasnt a block/charge, but no one would have known that even if it had been because one defered to the other. Now, had I seen something on the back side that I think he might not have seen, I might motion him over.

I havent seen many instances where partners would both call fouls AND make signals showing different calls. How common is this? Please share your seasoned wisdom with me, a total newbie

Clark
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
If both officials go up with a fist, how does anyone know that one has a block and one has a charge?
Because college officials have a real bad habit of not raising their fist, but rather going directly to the block or charge signal.

That's how it happens.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Saw one a few weeks back on television. Women's game. Drive to the basket, collision, C bounding the hips, L coming out from the baseline with the fist, neither looking at each other. Ended up being a charge, and commentators never mentioned it.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Gotcha.

Is that the approved college mechanic?

Sounds like a good argument for the use of the fist.

Clark
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
Gotcha.

Is that the approved college mechanic?

Sounds like a good argument for the use of the fist.
That's the "approved mechanic" at all levels when there is a double whistle. The officials should have pre-gamed a way to handle double whistles. If not, you simply come together, determine who had what adn who should make the call. And yes, that's why a fist should always be raised.

But if you get two different prelims, it's a double.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Folks, I am still looking for the reference in the Women's game about how to handle a "BLARGE". Granted, none of us ever want one but if they happen it helps to know the proper ruling. In NFHS and 2A Men's, it is a double foul but some of you mentioned that 2A Womens goes to the primary. I can not find a reference to that.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

chayce, it's on the website that I linked. I realize it's a lot of material but it's there. But if you really want it, you'll just have to dig for it.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 04:28pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
Last week, someone mentioned that in Women's NCAA a blarge (block by one official, charge by another) is handled in a way that allows the officials to get together, decide who has the primary, and then let the primary official make the call. (As opposed to NFHS which is a double foul and A/P). I can't find this in the NCAA manual or mechancis book. Can someone help me out with this?
I don't believe you can call both a charge and a block at the same time. It's the same for the NFHS, whoever's primary the play was in is who has the call, the other official has to eat the call.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 6-3.1 Thanks BktBallRef; it took some digging but I finally did find it. It was tucked away in a memorandum date 2001!
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 04:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
I don't believe you can call both a charge and a block at the same time. It's the same for the NFHS, whoever's primary the play was in is who has the call, the other official has to eat the call.
Yoou might wanna check out NFHS case book play 4.19.7SitC. NCAA mens handles it the same way. That might make you into a believer. You're wrong on this one.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

TJones1. NFHS is a double foul. You call a double foul and go to the AP. Also, if the ball goes in, you count it. We all hope we go our whole careers and never see one of these happen. I saw a blarge in a game last week and it was kicked!!
Old Sun Feb 06, 2005, 04:39pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Yoou might wanna check out NFHS case book play 4.19.7SitC. That might make you into a believer. You're wrong on this one.
Better have a brass pair to make this call. While this could happen, probably unlikely.