The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Last night before my game, the scorekeeper told me that two players had the same number and wanted to know if that was OK. I asked her what the number was and on which team. She said that there was a number 3 on each team.

I asked her to repeat that. She did. She wanted to know if it was allowed for the same number to be used by each team.

I decided to have some fun and I told her that since it was number 3, it was OK. She then said "so, if it's a number other than 3, it's not allowed - right?" I told her only even numbers divisible by 2 and odd numbers not divisible by 2 were OK, plus there was an exception to allow 0 and 00 as long as there wasn't a 0 and a 00 on the same team. I then said I thought the rule was different for games played on days that didn't end in "Y" unless you were playing by international rules. She looked very puzzled.

We got a different scorekeeper.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Last night before my game, the scorekeeper told me that two players had the same number and wanted to know if that was OK. I asked her what the number was and on which team. She said that there was a number 3 on each team.

I asked her to repeat that. She did. She wanted to know if it was allowed for the same number to be used by each team.

I decided to have some fun and I told her that since it was number 3, it was OK. She then said "so, if it's a number other than 3, it's not allowed - right?" I told her only even numbers divisible by 2 and odd numbers not divisible by 2 were OK, plus there was an exception to allow 0 and 00 as long as there wasn't a 0 and a 00 on the same team. I then said I thought the rule was different for games played on days that didn't end in "Y" unless you were playing by international rules. She looked very puzzled.

lol
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:51pm
M.A.S.H.

And we have to worry about scorebook problems why?!?!?!?!?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
Quote:
...I decided to have some fun and I told her that since it was number 3, it was OK. She then said "so, if it's a number other than 3, it's not allowed - right?" I told her only even numbers divisible by 2 and odd numbers not divisible by 2 were OK, plus there was an exception to allow 0 and 00 as long as there wasn't a 0 and a 00 on the same team. I then said I thought the rule was different for games played on days that didn't end in "Y" unless you were playing by international rules. She looked very puzzled.
Er, um, I think you forgot to to add that in these cases, each player must alternate O & D with the other player, so that only one is playing offense while the other plays defense and vice versa. Otherwise, it won't work out. Hope that isn't too confusing...

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Good One

I had to read that one to my wife, LOL
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Mark -- No wonder ABC thinks you should be sent to the Outer Hebrides. That was too cruel!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

ROTFLMFAO
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:01pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Mark -- No wonder ABC thinks you should be sent to the Outer Hebrides. That was too cruel!
Since when did he learn how to think?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Did she see the beefstick in your pocket??
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar

Er, um, I think you forgot to to add that in these cases, each player must alternate O & D with the other player, so that only one is playing offense while the other plays defense and vice versa. Otherwise, it won't work out. Hope that isn't too confusing...

That only applies if one of them turns her jersey inside out and wears a non-matching T-shirt.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
I ran out of beefsticks and am now using a fireplace log. I refer to it as my "woody".
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
I ran out of beefsticks and am now using a fireplace log. I refer to it as my "woody".
Okay, I just changed my mind about that TBA game.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 05:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Okay, I just changed my mind about that TBA game.
I can change it to a cocktail weenie if you prefer.
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 12:39am
We don't rent pigs

Timekeeper question

One night I arrived to call a couple of 8th grade games and was talking to the timekeeper. He was asking about the bonus. "How many fouls before they shoot 1 and 1?"
I told him you shoot on the 7th foul. "OK, will you tell us when or do we need to keep up with it?"
Wait, it gets even better. My partner was late arriving.
Nobody knew where he was. The principal said, "We need to get started. We'll let somebody else help you until the other guy gets here." Guess who?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Feb 04, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Another table story.

The other night, a fairly new table crew was working a HS game. They said they were going to bring in another guy to be responsible only for the possession arrow. You guessed it, after the jump ball, I check the arrow and he has it pointed in the wrong direction. We corrected it at the first whistle. I had to tease him at half time.