The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

I had a situation in a BV Game where I passed on calling a backcourt. The game had a good flow to it and I believe at the time the defense was down by about six points. The dribbler was encountering some pressure as he caught a pass high above the key. The pass momentarily got away from him and he recovered towards the division line. The defender, who was applying pressure, ever so slightly bumped him. The bump caused one of his feet to extend about two inches into the backcourt. It was either call the foul on the slight bump, backcourt violation (which I would not even consider), or pass. I passed. The coach probably saw the same thing as he didn't complain. I don't know that for sure because strangely enough, both coaches coached all game and didn't say a word to us. Must have been something in the water!
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Your call - you made it and it's over.

My statement/question: When coach's players and fans SEE a referee "let one go (pass on a call)" that is a pretty clear and obvious violation, doen't that encourage carping and complaining when you do make any call?

I debate in my mind the concept of "I'll pass here ... there was no advantage gained", because then rules enforcement becomes subjective and hence open for critisizm on everything. Advantage is in the eye of the beholder.

That said no referee can get all the calls, and even so we'll miss some that are made even with best efforts by the crew.

I also am relecting on your awareness and observation of the coach's response to this situation. Arn't you judging your calls by there reaction a little too much?

If you wanna pass on a call - pass. I just warn you then about the next time, or later, that you do call a "slight touch" on the shooter, a slipped pivot toe, a three pointer just on the line, a three second lane violation or heaven forbid a T - what would you think the coach will do with that?

Calling all of the obvious from the tip off has game-long benefits. If you start off selecting when and where to call obvious violations, it frequently creates a Catch 22 and causes the coach's, players and fans to work their influence on your determinations.

Our role is rule enforcment. Unbiased.

Respectfully submitted.

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

There are definitely situations that you can defer to advantage/disadvantage during a game to allow for better flow. However, it's tougher to pass on a call based on the lines that divide areas of the court. The lines are just about the only non-judgement calls available to us. When someone violates by stepping across one of the lines, regardless of wanting to keep the game flowing, I think you have to call either the violation or the foul. If someone has a toe on the 3 point line or out of bounds line, you make that call every time. Why would you pass on a division line call?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
There are definitely situations that you can defer to advantage/disadvantage during a game to allow for better flow. However, it's tougher to pass on a call based on the lines that divide areas of the court. The lines are just about the only non-judgement calls available to us. When someone violates by stepping across one of the lines, regardless of wanting to keep the game flowing, I think you have to call either the violation or the foul. If someone has a toe on the 3 point line or out of bounds line, you make that call every time. Why would you pass on a division line call?
I agree.

Blow the whistle and either put a fist or a palm up in this case.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree also - the only judgement here is whether to call the foul or the violation.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Advantage/disadvantage and game flow considerations should be thrown out the window in this situation. The lines are there for a purpose. If you see this you should go get it as a violation or a foul (as described). This is an easy one to make, just decide if you got the foul or the violation, I would think you would lean towards the foul as it was the contact that created the violation.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
The defender, who was applying pressure, ever so slightly bumped him. The bump caused one of his feet to extend about two inches into the backcourt. a word to us. Must have been something in the water!
The bump caused a violation which (should have) prevented "normal offensive maneuvers". So, it's a foul, even thought the same bump elsewhere on the court might not have been a foul.

Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Right or wrong, left or right, up or down, make a call! Calling the obvious, advantage or "flow" has great merit and certainly helps to establish the "flow" and tempo but it should never be confused with calling violations that are clear and indisputable. You passed on the bump (which occured first) but now you MUST call the violation of backcourt.

It's tough enough with others second guessing at every whistle, don't start second guessing yourself - put some air into it on the line calls. Two wrongs never make a right kinda thing.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I have a foul in this situation.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

The pass on the slight bump was your effort to creat 'flow' to the game. In your judgement, the slight bump caused the offensive player to violate the b/c rule. Delayed whistle, fist up, foul on defense.

We can only go so far in trying to allow for the flow to develop and we need to exercise caution when doing so AND not be afraid to put the ol'air in the whistle when the players are unwilling, by their illegal actions, to allow that flow to develop.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a situation in a BV Game where I passed on calling a backcourt. ...The defender,...slightly bumped him. The bump caused one of his feet to extend about two inches into the backcourt. It was either call the foul on the slight bump, backcourt violation (which I would not even consider), or pass. I passed. The coach probably saw the same thing as he didn't complain...
I sympathize with you man. It sounds like what you did worked out well... so maybe it was alright that "you didn't see it."

Two inches into the backcourt is the line width (the line is in the backcourt) so I'm assuming that his toe was not extending beyond the line. Perhaps the coach didn't know the rule (for shame! Imagine that!) Or perhaps the coach didn't see the violation. Possibly he understood. (It's happened before.)

It is a treacherous ground to forego making calls for game flow and maintenance of advantage/disadvantage. But we all do it. Repeatedly. Every game. Sometimes it stings but generally it is sweetness.

I can't count how many times I've had players and coaches start to complain about the lack of a call only to stop in mid-complaint when they realize that I'm right in the middle of it, looking at the exact same thing they are looking at, and I didn't make a call.

You found sweetness on this no call.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
I had a situation in a BV Game where I passed on calling a backcourt. ...The defender,...slightly bumped him. The bump caused one of his feet to extend about two inches into the backcourt. It was either call the foul on the slight bump, backcourt violation (which I would not even consider), or pass. I passed. The coach probably saw the same thing as he didn't complain...
I sympathize with you man. It sounds like what you did worked out well... so maybe it was alright that "you didn't see it."

Two inches into the backcourt is the line width (the line is in the backcourt) so I'm assuming that his toe was not extending beyond the line. Perhaps the coach didn't know the rule (for shame! Imagine that!) Or perhaps the coach didn't see the violation. Possibly he understood. (It's happened before.)

It is a treacherous ground to forego making calls for game flow and maintenance of advantage/disadvantage. But we all do it. Repeatedly. Every game. Sometimes it stings but generally it is sweetness.

I can't count how many times I've had players and coaches start to complain about the lack of a call only to stop in mid-complaint when they realize that I'm right in the middle of it, looking at the exact same thing they are looking at, and I didn't make a call.

You found sweetness on this no call.
Until it happens the other way to the other team and this time there was even less of a bump or no bump at all and the dribbler simply steps on the mid-court line and you call the violation and the coach is all over your a$$, rightfully so, because you didn't call the one on the other team. Sometimes sweet can turn into bitter in a hurry.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Sometimes sweet can turn into bitter in a hurry. [/B]
Face it Smitty, anything we do can turn bitter in a hurry. That's the nature of being an official.

I'm surely not advocating pass on every call. Or even to do so regularly. But I'm just as surely not advocating that we call every single thing we see. Game-flow and advantage/disavantage are integral components of our job.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sometimes sweet can turn into bitter in a hurry.
Face it Smitty, anything we do can turn bitter in a hurry. That's the nature of being an official.

I'm surely not advocating pass on every call. Or even to do so regularly. But I'm just as surely not advocating that we call every single thing we see. Game-flow and advantage/disavantage are integral components of our job. [/B]
We are all entitled to our opinions, but I don't think the lines fall into advantage/disadvantage. You start ignoring the lines and you will find yourself in trouble one way or another.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Similar situation

The violation that I referred to was a step on the line. I passed and according to many of the posts, shouldn't have. At the time, I thought it was the proper thing to do. Now, after reading the posts, I'm leaning against not doing the same.

Ref Daddy's comment, "I also am relecting on your awareness and observation of the coach's response to this situation. Aren't you judging your calls by their reaction a little too much?," rang somewhat true.

At the lower level, I didn't pay any attention to the coaches comments. At the varsity level, I tend to hear them more. I know that they are aware that I am a "fairly new" varsity official and many of them attempt to work you. In "passing" on the call, I'm providing them with additional ammunition. Thanks all for the comments and help.