The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Okay. 3 minutes left in 2nd quarter, during time out, partner (2 man) says, I am about to get sick. Puke, I ask? Wrong end, says he. He then says, if I blow it dead and head for the dressing room, call an official time out, send the teams to the bench, and wait till I get back.

Fortunately, he makes it to half time, and then goes nuclear in the dressing room. Gets it out of his system apparently, and makes it through without incident (or accident).

I assume this has happened before, so how do you handle it in 2 man. Do you wait, as I was instructed, or do you one man until he gets back?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

I hate to admit it, but even this subject is better than the 0/00 thread...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by totalnewbie
I hate to admit it, but even this subject is better than the 0/00 thread...
You should be adding this to your list of major situations!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Now newbie, don't do me that way!!! This has never happened before and I am thinking...so, just how long am I going to stand here on the court, with both teams at the bench on an official timeout? 5 minutes...10 minutes. So, as I am pondering this at halftime, I decide I will post it here because, in the total sum of a heck of a lot of years of reffing, someone has encountered a sick partner who had to leave the court before...so, I asked. I mean, if he broke his leg, whatever, and was out for good, I suppose you one man it as best as possible. But, if it is temporary, do you wait however long and interrupt the flow (no pun intended) of the game?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

I once had a partner that temporarily left the floor while the ball was live.

He did not get sick, the game was in the practice gym and there were rolled up wrestling mats on one end of the floor near the corner.

Semi-break they pulled it back out and set up their offense, as the ball swings back to the top I don't see my partner. I look a bit closer and just see some feet wiggling from behind the mat.

My dilemma was blow my whistle and help my partner, but by doing so call attention to his mishap, or let him get himself free.

I waited and he got out before a shot went up.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 07:21am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

He did not get sick, the game was in the practice gym and there were rolled up wrestling mats on one end of the floor near the corner.

Semi-break they pulled it back out and set up their offense, as the ball swings back to the top I don't see my partner. I look a bit closer and just see some feet wiggling from behind the mat.

My dilemma was blow my whistle and help my partner, but by doing so call attention to his mishap, or let him get himself free.

You can't be serious! Did you really just see his feet wiggling?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 08:07am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I would wait how ever long it took for hime/her to get back. I thought that might happen to me in a football game and we wear white knickers.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Good luck, I hope everything works out ok for you.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

You didn't say what level this was, but it happened to me once in rec ball.

At half time my partner who was feeling ill all day called it quits and decided to go home. The game was 12-13 year old boys, not great quality but not a train wreck either. I didn't make a big deal about it and started the second half solo.

I think it was half way through the fourth quarter before one of the coaches finally noticed and asked "what happened to your partner?"

I started the following game solo and a replacement showed up mid way through the first quarter, again without any fanfare. No one seemed to notice he wasn't there all along.

But this was rec league, I don't think I could pull if off at JV or V.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had a situation where my partner, who is being treated for diabetes, passed out on the court. It was during a dead ball throw-in, so there wasn't any action at that moment. He was starting to walk down to the other end, and just passed out right in front of the stands. Now, being the ever-helpful partner, my first thought was, "What did he trip over now?", because not ten minutes earlier he had fallen over the scorer's table try to get out of the way of players. Of course we very quickly realized the issue was more serious than that, and even the fans helped out. The trainer got there quickly, the peremedics arrived within minutes, and he ended up being fine. This was during holiday tournament time, and his meal times were screwed up with his medication, and his blood sugar just dropped. Since we had been working 3-whistle, we finished the game with 2.

There was one good side-effect to this incident, which happend in the 2nd quarter. It had been a close game, and we were starting to hear some chirping from the coaches and fans. However, after this, I think everyone involved realized there's more to life than this game, and it put things in perspective. We did not hear a single word from anyone the rest of the game. In fact, we have talked about this in pre-games since then - if things get out of control, we give a signal and one of us will faint...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad he's ok now and that's a great move to quiet the crowd. What's the signal? Does someone tap his forearm twice and give his left ear a tug?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra

You can't be serious! Did you really just see his feet wiggling?
Yes.

The mats started about half way between the lane line and the arch, right where leads supposed to set up. I had bumped them earlier in the game, but this time the ball was coming fast up his side, so he was wider and running.

I was giving him until the ball changed possession to get himself free, no trail on the other end would have been a bit obvious.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
I'm glad he's ok now and that's a great move to quiet the crowd. What's the signal? Does someone tap his forearm twice and give his left ear a tug?
Nah, nothing that elaborate; just a fanning motion with the hand...ooh, it's the vapors.