Thread: Pepto, anyone?
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I had a situation where my partner, who is being treated for diabetes, passed out on the court. It was during a dead ball throw-in, so there wasn't any action at that moment. He was starting to walk down to the other end, and just passed out right in front of the stands. Now, being the ever-helpful partner, my first thought was, "What did he trip over now?", because not ten minutes earlier he had fallen over the scorer's table try to get out of the way of players. Of course we very quickly realized the issue was more serious than that, and even the fans helped out. The trainer got there quickly, the peremedics arrived within minutes, and he ended up being fine. This was during holiday tournament time, and his meal times were screwed up with his medication, and his blood sugar just dropped. Since we had been working 3-whistle, we finished the game with 2.

There was one good side-effect to this incident, which happend in the 2nd quarter. It had been a close game, and we were starting to hear some chirping from the coaches and fans. However, after this, I think everyone involved realized there's more to life than this game, and it put things in perspective. We did not hear a single word from anyone the rest of the game. In fact, we have talked about this in pre-games since then - if things get out of control, we give a signal and one of us will faint...