The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Flag Care

Burning the flag is a respectful and honorable way to discard a flag . Ironic but still true. That has always cracked me up the "kill the flag burners " crowd. Ugh that is how the military handles flags. i wonder if the "kill the flag burners " crowd really mean is kill all people who don't think like we do. Anyway no yelling at me my family has a long and proud relationship with the military.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
While discussing cultural differences, I had a British person once comment to me that the Queen is the enduring symbol of their nation, and the flag seems to be the enduring symbol of ours. I had to agree. Presidents, politicians, policies and all the rest have come and gone, and the flag remains as the universally recognizable symbol of the USA. That's why folks spend so much time burning it, they're symbolically destroying us as a nation.

As a young man growing up, and also as a boy scout, I was taught about the symbolism of the flag. I was also taught that there were right and wrong ways to display it. I would not condemn another person for displaying it incorrectly. But I feel that as a citizen of this country, you owe it to yourself to understand the symbolism of the flag and to educate yourself about how to properly display it. To purposely show respect for the flag, is to purposely show your respect for our country.

Off my soapbox now
Here's the thing, and I can't believe I'm even bothering with this, but it's a slow day. If I don't know in any way shape or form that there is such a thing as flag etiquette - if I have no clue whatsoever that there is a right or wrong way to put a flag on your shirt, how am I supposed to know to ask someone how to do it correctly?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Not to parse the rules as we so commonly do on this board, but technically it's wrong to wear the flag on athletic uniforms and it specifically states that in the United States Code. Title 4, Section 8j states,"No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."

Just some food for thought...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
While discussing cultural differences, I had a British person once comment to me that the Queen is the enduring symbol of their nation, and the flag seems to be the enduring symbol of ours. I had to agree. Presidents, politicians, policies and all the rest have come and gone, and the flag remains as the universally recognizable symbol of the USA. That's why folks spend so much time burning it, they're symbolically destroying us as a nation.

As a young man growing up, and also as a boy scout, I was taught about the symbolism of the flag. I was also taught that there were right and wrong ways to display it. I would not condemn another person for displaying it incorrectly. But I feel that as a citizen of this country, you owe it to yourself to understand the symbolism of the flag and to educate yourself about how to properly display it. To purposely show respect for the flag, is to purposely show your respect for our country.

Off my soapbox now
Here's the thing, and I can't believe I'm even bothering with this, but it's a slow day. If I don't know in any way shape or form that there is such a thing as flag etiquette - if I have no clue whatsoever that there is a right or wrong way to put a flag on your shirt, how am I supposed to know to ask someone how to do it correctly?
Well now you know. And if you tell two people, and they tell two people...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Off my soapbox now
Won't I be a hit at the Super Bowl party...
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Flag Care

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
Burning the flag is a respectful and honorable way to discard a flag . Ironic but still true. That has always cracked me up the "kill the flag burners " crowd. Ugh that is how the military handles flags. i wonder if the "kill the flag burners " crowd really mean is kill all people who don't think like we do. Anyway no yelling at me my family has a long and proud relationship with the military.
Respectfully retiring a flag is a very different matter from setting it alight in the streets while firing your automatic weapon in the air and chanting "Death to America. Death to the great Satan." And it's a different matter from the folks here at home who are so bitter about not getting things their way that they feel the need to symbolically burn us all.

And as for the comment about "kill all people who don't think like we do," sadly there is too much of that sentiment on both sides of the argument, don't you think?
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Off my soapbox now
Won't I be a hit at the Super Bowl party...
Use it as a pick-up line. Chicks dig this stuff