The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Need some feed back on this one.

BJV game, we go to table to check book at 11 minute mark, to make sure all is good. V Coach comes up and says we have 2 #12, [1 a Soph coming up to JV game and 1 from V squad playing in JV game] he says all is okay though because the table knows the difference.

We say okay let's proceed.

With 4 minutes to go in game I as L call foul on #12,report foul to table [yep you guessed it] table sounds horn and says "that's 5 on #12.

I can't really recall if both #12s were in game at the same time, I don't think so.

V Coach jumps up yelling "no way" that's only like maybe three"

Table says "no that's 5" [Let me add V team had a table representative working their own book during the entire game.]

We go to table check what is the discrepancy, "official" book shows 5 visitors book shows 3 on #12...

Granted these are volunteer students doing the books for both teams, not adults that are paid...

What do we have?

I would have expected that between the two books, since the "table" knows the difference, we would not have had an issue like this...

Neither my partner or I had definite knowledge that #12 had eitehr 3 or 5 fouls.

Any suggestions for next time?

Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:11am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Why is a Varsity player playing on the JV squad? I know there are no rules against it, as far as I know, but really doesn't sound to fair.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

I'd hate to be rude, but the second you allowed the game to start with two #12s, you were asking for something like this to happen.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:13am
Huck Finn

If the official book says 5 fouls then one of the #12s is done. This experience should prompt someone to get another jersey if at all possible.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

What do you mean that is not fair. Sometimes you may have a freshman player that is good enough to play freshman, JV, and V ball. I think there are plenty of players, at least in my area that play both JV and V.

I agree with South GA ref on this one. You should have made them change numbers. If you are going to inforce Fed rules you can only have one number 12 in the book.

That being said, I would go with the official book and DQ the player. Maybe the coach will learn a lesson from this. After all it was his book.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
I'd hate to be rude, but the second you allowed the game to start with two #12s, you were asking for something like this to happen.
Agreed. Somehow, they find a way to get the kid in another jersey. I can guarantee that if you had said no, they would have found a way.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Why is a Varsity player playing on the JV squad? I know there are no rules against it, as far as I know, but really doesn't sound to fair.
That happens a lot here (and you should know that man!!! ). Many JV games are mostly varsity players that do not play that much at the varsity level. Or you have some freshman or sophomore players that might get have to make that next step to play at the varsity level. Usually those games are designed to give players that do not play a lot a chance to play better competition. At least that is what I see around here.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner

Any suggestions for next time?

Did the team also have a number 2? If not, tape over the "1."

When allowing something out-of-the-ordinary to happen, be sure to have a thorough meeting with the table personnal before the game begins. The visitor's book was probably right (on the theory that they know their own personnel best and therefore knew which #12 offended which time), but the visitor should have been *constantly* communicating with the official/home book, especially when any foul was called on #12. Kids/volunteers don't necessarily know that. We can help.

Go with the official book on the ruling.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

how about taping a number

How about turning one of the 12's into a 1 or a 2....as for what you have to do in the situation...you go with the official book.....
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I believe that a player is eligible to play in 5 quarters per night. I'm also aware that this is between the school and the state office and we have no jurisdiction over this. We have a Christian HS Conference here and you'll regularly see kids play both JV/V. The schools do a pretty good job keeping up with it.

One question for the Illinois guys; I've had a couple of Illinois teams cross the river to play and this came up at a game and the ILL coach said players get 90 quarters per year, doesn't matter how many quarters per night. What's correct? In my situation, the home coach said "whatever, let's play". Remind you, this is in the Christian Conference not MSHSAA or IHSA.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Re: how about taping a number

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
How about turning one of the 12's into a 1 or a 2....as for what you have to do in the situation...you go with the official book.....
It would be a good idea to let the kid know not to sweat. Once that happens, he loses the tape and he's no longer legally equipped. Home team has to have another jersey around.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

"Coach, you said the table knows the difference. I have to go by their book."

Next time, tell the coach "No" at the beginning of the game. They must have another jersey somewhere, or a pinnie with a different number.
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: how about taping a number

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
It would be a good idea to let the kid know not to sweat. Once that happens, he loses the tape and he's no longer legally equipped. Home team has to have another jersey around.
No Chris they don't. You can re tape it if necessary, all you need is an X that goes through a number, and the tape stays on pretty well. The reason I know this works is I have done it, seen it done, had it done to my jersey, it isn't that tough....
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts

1) Coach had a duplicate number and requested we ignore it (like we do a lot a lower level game)

2) Coach has a book and he says they know the difference

3) the books should have talked to discuss fouls on right number 12

3) You called fouls on #12 and I'll bet you dont remember which ones were whose

4) not your fault that this happened.

5) #12 has 5 fouls and he is out. Put the next #12 in and let them play the last 4 minutes

6) If coach doesnt like it tell him to use a different jersey next time.

7) if coach goes ballistic, throw him and maybe he'll figure it out after his one game suspension
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: how about taping a number

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Quote:
No Chris they don't. You can re tape it if necessary, all you need is an X that goes through a number, and the tape stays on pretty well. The reason I know this works is I have done it, seen it done, had it done to my jersey, it isn't that tough....
ok, I'm glad it worked on your jersey. Maybe you don't sweat, maybe they knew better than to guard you, I don't know. But for however many times it has worked, it hasn't. Just put on another jersey or take a jersey from some kid on JV that didn't play or something. Crap, if we're gonna duct-tape everyone up then lets get those shoe laces to so we don't hae to deal with them.

Tweet, white 12 push.
No, remember I'm #2.
OK, well then we'll wait right here while you run over and have your coach retape your jersey.