The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I have seen table crews switch the arrow on their own accord for whatever reason.
Yep. Table (properly) switches the arrow, but the book forgets to write it down. A few minutes later, the book notices that the arrow is pointing the "wrong" way and has it switched, during play, and none of the officials notices it. Now, at the next held ball, there's a conflict.
Old Wed Jan 15, 2014, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I had trouble keeping the arrow in my head until I read a suggestion here years ago. You are counting a lot during the game. When you count use the color of the next possession. For example "1...blue ball...2...blue ball..." When the arrow changes, change to the other color.

Works grear for me and I can remember. You mileage may vary...
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 11:46am
M.A.S.H.

2/17/14 Ok St/Baylor

If any of you watched the Ok St/Baylor game last night (2/17/14)...

Did you see what Whitehead did after the jump ball to start OT?
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 11:56am
Archaic Power Monger

No...what did he do?

I'm going to have to try BatteryPowered's suggestion.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have a great method of helping keep track of the AP arrow. It is called " remembering".

If white has the ball to start, I remember black gets the next one.

Works like a charm!
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 12:50pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
No...what did he do?

I'm going to have to try BatteryPowered's suggestion.
Moved his spare whistle from his left pocket to his right pocket to match up with the arrow.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You're A Better Man Than I Am, Gunga Din (Rudyard Kipling) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
I have a great method of helping keep track of the AP arrow. It is called " remembering".
I would guess that you don't work too many girls middle school games, the games where there is no arrow at the table, and a million held balls. Wait? Did I say a million held balls? That's ridiculous, and impossible. I really meant to say a billion held balls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Feb 18, 2014 at 03:53pm.
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would guess that you don't work too many girls middle school games, the games where there is no arrow at the table, and a million held balls. Wait? Did I say a million held balls. That's ridiculous, and impossible. I really meant to say a billion held balls.
One more reason not to work those games. As if that really had to be stated.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 18, 2014, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I would guess that you don't work too many girls middle school games, the games where there is no arrow at the table, and a million held balls. Wait? Did I say a million held balls? That's ridiculous, and impossible. I really meant to say a billion held balls.
No arrow at the table no start the game. That is the direction from our association.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 11:13am
Often wrong never n doubt

About a month ago we had a freshman game that didn't have an arrow. The lady running the table used a white ink pen that had a black cap to keep track of it as well as the book. She would point for us when there was a held ball as most of the time the pen wasn't visible to us.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 11:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
About a month ago we had a freshman game that didn't have an arrow. The lady running the table used a white ink pen that had a black cap to keep track of it as well as the book. She would point for us when there was a held ball as most of the time the pen wasn't visible to us.
I do not care what they use, just as long as it is something at the table that can point in a direction.

And no, the scoreboard is not good enough.

Also the book should be keeping track as well. So there are enough checks and balances other than using a silly whistle in your pocket.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 11:48am
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not care what they use, just as long as it is something at the table that can point in a direction.

And no, the scoreboard is not good enough.

Also the book should be keeping track as well. So there are enough checks and balances other than using a silly whistle in your pocket.

Peace
I agree. The pen worked without problem this night, just wasn't quite as high tech but functional just the same.
Old Wed Feb 19, 2014, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
I agree. The pen worked without problem this night, just wasn't quite as high tech but functional just the same.
Many schools have that little display with the arrow on it (it is yellow). All you need is something and that should be good enough. And the rules mandate that something be at the table, not anywhere else.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

A simple solution.

I have a tremendous idea on how to avoid the arrow issues, and not have to suffer the gross indignity and mortal shame of changing rocks from one pocket to the other, unbuttoning pocket flaps, dealing with clueless table personnel, or chanting blue ball during every throw-in. Obviously such actions detract from our stature and we must never do such undignified things, even tough it makes it absolutely clear to everyone in the building that we're making sure we get it right.

Here's what we'll do. We'll get the two players most directly involved and send them to the center circle or to the foul line circle (whichever is closer) and we'll toss the ball in the air, and determine possession through an actual athletic endeavor, rather than my-turn, your-turn.

Not only does it solve the issue, we won't have listen to the holier-than-thou brigade, which thinks we should keep a play from 10 minutes earlier in our heads while presumably concentrating on what is happening in front of us.

Last edited by amusedofficial; Sun Feb 23, 2014 at 08:59am.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2014, 09:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
I have a tremendous idea on how to avoid the arrow issues, and not have to suffer the gross indignity and mortal shame of changing rocks from one pocket to the other, unbuttoning pocket flaps, dealing with clueless table personnel, or chanting blue ball during every throw-in. Obviously such actions detract from our stature and we must never do such undignified things, even tough it makes it absolutely clear to everyone in the building that we're making sure we get it right.

Here's what we'll do. We'll get the two players most directly involved and send them to the center circle or to the foul line circle (whichever is closer) and we'll toss the ball in the air, and determine possession through an actual athletic endeavor, rather than my-turn, your-turn.

Not only does it solve the issue, we won't have listen to the holier-than-thou brigade, which thinks we should keep a play from 10 minutes earlier in our heads while presumably concentrating on what is happening in front of us.
The jump ball is a horrible system. Let's give an unfair advantage after a tie up to the person who's TALLER. To me, the AP always made more sense than this.