The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it's the wonderful time of the year known as intramural basketball season. I was scheduled for two games, only ended up working one (and all this after a difficult afternoon on the scorebook).

Two situations came about that arose questions in my mind.

1. A1 is on a fast break, and B1 is closely running with him down the court. A1 then throws the ball off of his own backboard (clearly not a shot attempt). B1 fouled A1 before A1 could recover the ball, so the question is moot, but if A1 catches the ball, what can he legally do? Team B claimed it was a violation as soon as either the ball was thrown against the backboard or when it was caught (depending on who was doing the complaining), while A1 claimed that it was legal only if he caught the ball in the air and then shot it (which doesn't seem right, either). Would A1 be able to catch, but then not dribble? Or would he be able to dribble if he caught the ball.

2. A1 goes up for a shot and, as he does, B1 fouls A2. I counted the basket, reported the foul on B1, and then gave A the ball out of bounds. While I handled the situation correctly, all three players (A1, A2, and B1) were right on top of each other, so it wasn't clear what I had called (although I thought I made it clear and loud when I reported to the table). B1 was initially upset - thinking I had called BI or a GT on him, then B was upset that A was getting the ball back. A was, of course, upset that they didn't get a free throw. I guess what I'm asking is "what's a good way to explain this so everyone knows what I called?"
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Well, it's the wonderful time of the year known as intramural basketball season. I was scheduled for two games, only ended up working one (and all this after a difficult afternoon on the scorebook).

Two situations came about that arose questions in my mind.

1. A1 is on a fast break, and B1 is closely running with him down the court. A1 then throws the ball off of his own backboard (clearly not a shot attempt). B1 fouled A1 before A1 could recover the ball, so the question is moot, but if A1 catches the ball, what can he legally do? Team B claimed it was a violation as soon as either the ball was thrown against the backboard or when it was caught (depending on who was doing the complaining), while A1 claimed that it was legal only if he caught the ball in the air and then shot it (which doesn't seem right, either). Would A1 be able to catch, but then not dribble? Or would he be able to dribble if he caught the ball.

2. A1 goes up for a shot and, as he does, B1 fouls A2. I counted the basket, reported the foul on B1, and then gave A the ball out of bounds. While I handled the situation correctly, all three players (A1, A2, and B1) were right on top of each other, so it wasn't clear what I had called (although I thought I made it clear and loud when I reported to the table). B1 was initially upset - thinking I had called BI or a GT on him, then B was upset that A was getting the ball back. A was, of course, upset that they didn't get a free throw. I guess what I'm asking is "what's a good way to explain this so everyone knows what I called?"
1. How do you know it wasn't a try? May have just been a bad shot. At any rate no violation if caught he his own rebound and dribbled.

2. Here's how I would have handled it. Count the basket Foul on 32 Black give the ball to A for a spot throw in. My explanation Coach the foul was off ball.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

1. How do you know it wasn't a try? May have just been a bad shot. At any rate no violation if caught he his own rebound and dribbled.
From all of my years watching basketball. The ball was thrown, single-handedly, off the backboard - far to the left of the basket. It was in no way, shape, or form a try.

That plus the player (A1) even said that he wasn't attempting a shot.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

As such (no try), it's a continuation of his dribble. Certainly able to get the ball off the backboard, but he's stuck - pass or shoot. If he again dribbles, double-dribble.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ditttoo
As such (no try), it's a continuation of his dribble. Certainly able to get the ball off the backboard, but he's stuck - pass or shoot. If he again dribbles, double-dribble.
No, he's not stuck. Throwing the ball off his opponent's backboard is the same as a dribble.

For the 147th time -

IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL TO THROW THE BALL OFF YOUR OWN BACKBOARD AND THEN RETRIEVE IT, AT ANY TIME!!!!!!!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

For the 147th time -

IT'S PERFECTLY LEGAL TO THROW THE BALL OFF YOUR OWN BACKBOARD AND THEN RETRIEVE IT, AT ANY TIME!!!!!!!
Tony -- I think you've lost count. It's at least the 352nd time!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, he's not stuck. Throwing the ball off his opponent's backboard is the same as a dribble.

For the 147th time -

And I knew this (not quickly enough), but was trying to find the rule reference. Is this another one that's only implicitly in there?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

For the 147th time -

Ooooooooo! Somebody needs a nap, real bad.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I knew this (not quickly enough), but was trying to find the rule reference. Is this another one that's only implicitly in there?
4-4-5 4.15.4C(c)
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

specifically a try

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
4-4-5 4.15.4C(c)
That case reference is specifically for a try. In Mark's case he says he judges it to not be a try.

BBR, this situation has come up a time or two at our meetings and I have tried to explain why it is judged legal. I am not getting my point across LOL...can you again explain why it is legal, even if judged not to be a try?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mark, I think you got answers to your questions. So here's one from me. What made your game on the scorebook difficult? It was a pretty good game for you guys. What happened?
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: specifically a try

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
4-4-5 4.15.4C(c)
That case reference is specifically for a try. In Mark's case he says he judges it to not be a try.

BBR, this situation has come up a time or two at our meetings and I have tried to explain why it is judged legal. I am not getting my point across LOL...can you again explain why it is legal, even if judged not to be a try?
And I'm willing to just say "it was a try" and leave it at that. Is this by rule, though, or just by instinct/accepted practice?
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Seems the distinguishing factor is whether the backboard belongs to A or B.

Case 4.4.5 A1 atytempts a pass (said it was not a try, so it must be a pass) to A2 during pressing action in A's backcourt. The ball hits B's backboard and deflects directly back to A1 who catches the ball and a) passes the ball to A2; or b) starts a dribble. RULING: The pass against B's backboard was the start of a dribble which ended when A1 caught the ball. In a) the passis legal action, in b) it is a violation for a second dribblem (9-5).

Now let's see what Rule 4.4.5 states, "A ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds, except that when the ball touches the thrower's backboard it does not constitute a part of a dribble.

So if A1 slings it off his own backboard he can continue to do whatever he wants.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: specifically a try

Quote:
..can you again explain why it is legal, even if judged not to be a try?
Because it cannot be judged to not be a try. Everytime the ball hits the backborad of the player that threw the ball there, it was a try. Period. No I do not have a reference. But we've done this discussion before, and that was the outcome.
Old Thu Feb 03, 2005, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: specifically a try

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
..can you again explain why it is legal, even if judged not to be a try?
Because it cannot be judged to not be a try. Everytime the ball hits the backborad of the player that threw the ball there, it was a try. Period. No I do not have a reference. But we've done this discussion before, and that was the outcome.
I don't remember that being the outcome.

In no place does it say it is a try...only that the effect on the traveling rule is like that of a try. Nothing more. No reference anyone has ever made has even hinted that it would be a shooting foul for contacting a player who was bouncing the ball off the corner of the backboard.