View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Well, it's the wonderful time of the year known as intramural basketball season. I was scheduled for two games, only ended up working one (and all this after a difficult afternoon on the scorebook).

Two situations came about that arose questions in my mind.

1. A1 is on a fast break, and B1 is closely running with him down the court. A1 then throws the ball off of his own backboard (clearly not a shot attempt). B1 fouled A1 before A1 could recover the ball, so the question is moot, but if A1 catches the ball, what can he legally do? Team B claimed it was a violation as soon as either the ball was thrown against the backboard or when it was caught (depending on who was doing the complaining), while A1 claimed that it was legal only if he caught the ball in the air and then shot it (which doesn't seem right, either). Would A1 be able to catch, but then not dribble? Or would he be able to dribble if he caught the ball.

2. A1 goes up for a shot and, as he does, B1 fouls A2. I counted the basket, reported the foul on B1, and then gave A the ball out of bounds. While I handled the situation correctly, all three players (A1, A2, and B1) were right on top of each other, so it wasn't clear what I had called (although I thought I made it clear and loud when I reported to the table). B1 was initially upset - thinking I had called BI or a GT on him, then B was upset that A was getting the ball back. A was, of course, upset that they didn't get a free throw. I guess what I'm asking is "what's a good way to explain this so everyone knows what I called?"
1. How do you know it wasn't a try? May have just been a bad shot. At any rate no violation if caught he his own rebound and dribbled.

2. Here's how I would have handled it. Count the basket Foul on 32 Black give the ball to A for a spot throw in. My explanation Coach the foul was off ball.