The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

6th grade boys game, rec league. The team we were playing would scream at my players on every shot. Does this happen in High school or competitive travel leagues? My son plays Travel baseball and we some of it but it is discouraged most of the time. Is there any precedence that allows us to give T's on this behavior? At this level and age of play I feel it is just teaching poor sportsman ship and want to stop it, so I am looking for any NFHS rule that can back me up. I looking in both rule book and case book but could not find anything.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by jesmael
6th grade boys game, rec league. The team we were playing would scream at my players on every shot. Does this happen in High school or competitive travel leagues? My son plays Travel baseball and we some of it but it is discouraged most of the time. Is there any precedence that allows us to give T's on this behavior? At this level and age of play I feel it is just teaching poor sportsman ship and want to stop it, so I am looking for any NFHS rule that can back me up. I looking in both rule book and case book but could not find anything.
It's not illegal, and there's not any precedent for the refs to legitimately handle this. I suggest that the best way to handle it is to keep making the shots, and then finally ask the ref to point out to the coach that it's not helping them any, why not stop. Also, I suppose if the coach of the team is instructing his players to do this, so that it's a pattern, it might be considered unsportsmanlike. But it may be just something you have to put up with when you play that team.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

10-3-7-d and POI speaks only to impeding opponents VISION. I do think its coming soon in a POI near you.

At lower levels I've seen some really obnoxoius "yelling in the face".

I don't think it fits the spirit and definition of taunting.

Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 12:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The rule that you are looking for is NFHS rule 10-3-7(c)- "baiting or taunting an opponent". It is up to the officials assigned to your game to define what "baiting" or "taunting" is though. I agree that if the screaming is constant and the sole purpose of the screaming is just to upset your team,it is poor sportsmanship- especially at the younger levels- and the officials should put a stop to it. Personally, I still gotta see it though to judge whether or not I think it actually is unsporting.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

oftentimes in captain's mtg, some guys will say; "white talk to white and blue talk to blue". This is said early so we don't have to deal with it later. I know that HAAA!!! is not talking but imo, this could lead to something uglier as the game goes on.
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At the sixth grade level, this should probably be addressed at the "league commissioner" level. It's not addressed in the rules but I've never heard of a 6th grade league that doesn't stress sportsmanship. If it bothers you, complain to those who run the league.

Z
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
If it bothers you, complain to those who run the league.
Z...if it bothers me I'm putting a stop to it!
As JR said...I'd have to see it to know...and not a lot bothers me...but, if I thought it was unsporting...I would put a stop to it immediately.
Good suggestion letting the league know though. They can then give some guidance to the coaches in the league.
Richland, WA