The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

OK, Heres the situation. I'm a ref plus I asst. coach a 6th grade girls travel team. Our game today had very bad officials, but I bit my lip and didnt say anything during the game. The coach for our team was more than a little mad at some of the calls and was letting the refs know about it. So after the game "we lost by the way by 6" we were getting are stuff together to leave. When one of the refs comes over to us and says I quote "tough game huh?" coach says yeah but you guys didnt help. The ref comes back with I quote again "If you didnt hound us the whole game, you might have got some of the calls to go your way!" I was shocked. We both just looked at him and walked away. So my question is to you do I do something about this ref or do I just let it drop and say he might have had a bad day. thanks
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrs_schuster
OK, Heres the situation. I'm a ref plus I asst. coach a 6th grade girls travel team. Our game today had very bad officials, but I bit my lip and didnt say anything during the game. The coach for our team was more than a little mad at some of the calls and was letting the refs know about it. So after the game "we lost by the way by 6" we were getting are stuff together to leave. When one of the refs comes over to us and says I quote "tough game huh?" coach says yeah but you guys didnt help. The ref comes back with I quote again "If you didnt hound us the whole game, you might have got some of the calls to go your way!" I was shocked. We both just looked at him and walked away. So my question is to you do I do something about this ref or do I just let it drop and say he might have had a bad day. thanks
Why would you do anything about it? Your head coach was wrong for "letting the refs" know about the "bad job" they were doing during the game. What good did that do other than make it harder on the officials?

Maybe the ref shouldn't have approached the coach after the game, but his comment of "tough game huh" makes me think he just felt kinda bad and was trying to be nice. Then the head coach turned it into an adversarial conversation with his comment. So the official then gets a little bent and says something in response which he maybe shouldn't have.

If I was you (being a ref and knowing how hard it can be), I'd be more concerned about the behavior of the head coach than a ref who just got rode during the game and then had a sarcastic comment directed his way afterwards.

Z
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 03:24pm
In Memoriam

Sixth grade girls huh?

With a head coach that was mad and letting the refs "know about it" during the game- and was also laying the blame on the officials after the game was over.

Yeah, I'd report both of those officials. Serve 'em right if it cost them a chance at the Final Four this year.

Did you ever think that you mighta been assigned maybe not "bad", but maybe fairly new officials who are just learning? Assignors have been known to do that sometimes with 6th grade girls games.

The officials made a mistake in initiating a conversation after the game instead of just getting t'hell outa there. Doing that gives an unsporting jerk like your head coach a chance to hop in there with his unsporting comments. The officials were also completely wrong in making their other comments too after the game. Hopefully, the officials learned a lesson from that and will now keep away from coaches after a game and also keep their mouths shut. I mean, what were they thinking? They didn't really expect to find a little "sportsmanship" in a 6th. grade girls game, did they?

Btw, your head coach is a jerk. Didya ever think of maybe reporting him for his behavior?
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Sounds like the official, head coach, and asst. coach could all use some maturity.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 03:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Nobody is going to care about the outcome of a 6th grade girl's (or boy's) game. When are you coaches going to learn that no one working those games is worried about the outcome of these games? Of course the players and parents would like to win and have a fair game, but these kids will forget about the game in a year (or much less of time). No one is going to be talking about 20 years from now about some traveling game when they were that young. No coach is going to make the hall of fame coaching those teams or that level. The officials are not going to remember the outcome or care as their career progresses. I understand that you want to win and you want to have the game called fairly, but who really cares? I read these stories all the time about how the officials screwed a team and the last time I checked there is no money riding on these games. Las Vegas does not have a line on the local travel league. You are lucky if you get just a warm body to work these games. And as official like I continue our career, your attitude as a coach is the very reason I would not want to waste my time working your games.

Let it go. Who cares what the officials said. No one is going to remember after the season anyway.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up ok ok ok

ok i can understand as a ref what they were going through. But as a coach I can also see our coaches point as well. Maybe i worded it wrong, our coach wasnt being a real a.ss just being a coach. Ive been there so has everybody else on this board, but I would never, NEVER call or not call fouls on a team just because of their coach. thats just how he said it after the game, that he called it that way!! and We werent being inmature as others have stated just coaches who did not appreciate how the game was being called.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 04:14pm
In Memoriam

Question

chrs_schuster,
How about giving 10-15 examples of what they kicked?
Thanks.
mick
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 04:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: ok ok ok

Quote:
Ive been there so has everybody else on this board, but I would never, NEVER call or not call fouls on a team just because of their coach.
I do not know what your experience is as an official, but I know I have been accuse of doing that when the last thing on my mind was what the coach said or did to me. I officiate how I see fit and let the chips fall where they may. But this was a 6th grade girl's games. I am going to probably bet that the officials were not the most experienced officials in the world. If they are experienced, then they probably are not the most successful at the other levels. Maybe this is why they are there. If they are used to making comments like that, this could be a telling sign as to why they were working the game.

Quote:
thats just how he said it after the game, that he called it that way!! and We werent being inmature as others have stated just coaches who did not appreciate how the game was being called.
I agree he should not have made that comment. Again, this was a 6th grade basketball game. This was not on national TV with the entire country watching.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ok ok ok

Quote:
ok i can understand as a ref what they were going through. But as a coach I can also see our coaches point as well. Maybe i worded it wrong, our coach wasnt being a real a.ss just being a coach. Ive been there so has everybody else on this board, but I would never, NEVER call or not call fouls on a team just because of their coach. thats just how he said it after the game, that he called it that way!! and We werent being inmature as others have stated just coaches who did not appreciate how the game was being called.
I've done it a lot in kiddie leagues. The coach keeps yelling that traveling, call traveling.

So I do, only on his team.

Then he wants to complain.

Same song, fifth verse etc.,

As others have said, the coach was obviously taking this a little too seriously. Once the game is over, its over.

The kids played the game, not the officials. Spend as much time fine tuning your coaching as you do crticizing the officials and then you might have a better outcome next time.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: ok ok ok

Quote:
Originally posted by David B

I've done it in a lot in kiddie leagues. The coach keeps yelling that traveling, call traveling.

So I do, only on his team.
Really? Shame on you.

There are more effective (and ethically appropriate) tools at your disposal to control the coach's behavior. Address the coach verbally and let him know that his conduct will not be tolerated. (Universal stop sign) If s/he fails to comply... assess the T.

Quote:

As others have said, the coach was obviously taking this a little too seriously. Once the game is over, itÂ’s over.

The kids played the game, not the officials. Spend as much time fine tuning your coaching as you do criticizing the officials and then you might have a better outcome next time.

Thanks
David

AGREED.

Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What was your team's shooting percentage?

How many free throws did you miss?

How many offensive rebounds and put backs did you give up?

How many turnovers did you have?

How many points off those turnovers?

As an official you should know better.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...6th grade girls...
That's the only part of the scenario that means anything at all.

A little perspective needed, I think...
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Now 6th grade are they 11 12 or 13 year olds

Further post will follow answer

Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Sounds like the official, head coach, and asst. coach could all use some maturity.
This is the key. Official was out of line to imply that he calls things based on whether or not he likes the coach. But head coach was also out of line to imply that the refs ought to be helping his team. Asst coach could be the moderator here, by stepping up and talking to head coach about his attitude. The mature thing for this official is to walk away when the game is over. Even if he doesn't do that, and initiates the converstaion, it would be mature to walk away when the caoch says "It's your fault." Asst cant control the ref, but could suggest to head coach that walking away would also be mature and appropriate for the head coach.

In other words, Chris, I think your concern is well-founded, but there's not much you can do about the ref. Talk to your head coach about "rising above it" and "setting an example for the players" and help him learn to do that. It'll be far more helpful for your team than any complaints about the ref.
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 09:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
This is the key. Official was out of line to imply that he calls things based on whether or not he likes the coach. But head coach was also out of line to imply that the refs ought to be helping his team. Asst coach could be the moderator here, by stepping up and talking to head coach about his attitude. The mature thing for this official is to walk away when the game is over. Even if he doesn't do that, and initiates the converstaion, it would be mature to walk away when the caoch says "It's your fault." Asst cant control the ref, but could suggest to head coach that walking away would also be mature and appropriate for the head coach.

In other words, Chris, I think your concern is well-founded, but there's not much you can do about the ref. Talk to your head coach about "rising above it" and "setting an example for the players" and help him learn to do that. It'll be far more helpful for your team than any complaints about the ref.
Well, I'm going to place the blame squarely on the official for one thing. He didn't follow the Mick mantra -- get in, get done, GET OUT. Did he think he was going to get a compliment from the coaches? Or perhaps a cookie?