The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I have finally started the move up. I am doing alot of sub varsity and small school varsity.

I am now at the point where I have to be more the R than the U. When you work with a "new" official should you make more of the calls that he misses? You know, the calls that he doesn't make that are clear but he still has the deer in the headlight look.

Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
When I see that my "new" partner is missing a lot of calls, I will commonly step up and pick up some the calls in his/her area.

Think back to when you were "new" and your veteran partner had to do the same thing for you.

Remember to mention it to him/her later...in a respectful teaching tone.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Man In Blue
I have finally started the move up. I am doing alot of sub varsity and small school varsity.

I am now at the point where I have to be more the R than the U. When you work with a "new" official should you make more of the calls that he misses? You know, the calls that he doesn't make that are clear but he still has the deer in the headlight look.

It's a delicate balance. You want to "expand" your primary a little bit to help your partner, but if you step in and do everything, then you become an enabler and they don't learn to blow their whistle. I'll go get the trainwreck calls, but I'll let my partner live and die by the other stuff and we'll discuss it later.

The major thing I do when working with a "deer" is to tell them that I will handle EVERYTHING that doesn't concern fouls and violations so they can just concentrate on the 84' feet of court.

Z
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:32pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

It's a delicate balance. You want to "expand" your primary a little bit to help your partner, ....
In agreeing with Z, I, too, think we must be wary (and weary) of the distance and frequency. Once we make a token call 10' outa our primary, another call 10'-15' outa the zone is even easier.

It gets more and more tempting to go where and when we shouldn't. Lots of discretion should be used.
mick
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
When I see that my "new" partner is missing a lot of calls, I will commonly step up and pick up some the calls in his/her area.

Think back to when you were "new" and your veteran partner had to do the same thing for you.

Maybe I need to rephrase. I will commonly go into his/her area and grab the calls that have to be called.

I agree that we don't need to grab the little stuff or they will not learn...then go back and explain the "block/charge" call was theirs.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If you're working your Primary and are on ball for example why would you "see" what's happening off ball in your partners primary? Get the stuff where you have dual coverage or the coverage overlaps and by all means get the train wrecks. Trust your partner.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

If you're working your Primary and are on ball for example why would you "see" what's happening off ball in your partners primary? Get the stuff where you have dual coverage or the coverage overlaps and by all means get the train wrecks. Trust your partner.
gordon30307,
In the sitch the partner needed a few more games to instill that trust. I've worked with that guy!
mick

Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mick

Hello Mick,

I am from the UP looking at officiating some games in the summer fall etc. . Since i am from the UP and you are an assignor i would like to talk to you.

Thanks for your time
RV
Old Fri Jan 28, 2005, 10:28pm
In Memoriam

Re: Hey Mick

Quote:
Originally posted by rviotto13
Hello Mick,

I am from the UP looking at officiating some games in the summer fall etc. . Since i am from the UP and you are an assignor i would like to talk to you.

Thanks for your time
RV
Howzitgoin' rviotto13,
Nope there are no assignors in the U.P.
I'll e-mail you tomorrow.
mick
Old Sat Jan 29, 2005, 09:48am
In Memoriam

Post Re: Re: Hey RV

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by rviotto13
Hello Mick,

Thanks for your time
RV
Howzitgoin' rviotto13,
Nope there are no assignors in the U.P.
I'll e-mail you tomorrow.
mick
RV,
Your E-dress doesn't work.
...Bounced back.
mick
Old Sun Jan 30, 2005, 11:32am
Official Forum Member