The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Sorry. The other thread closed before I could post this. This is not an attack on anyone. I had this happen the other night and it is similar to the original situation. IMO, there are times out there we need to let a rule slide for a larger benefit.

It surprises me that anyone here would have problem with the coach playing with four players since many of the posts I read here deal with coaches treating us or their players with disprespect. I know, by rule, the player should play. But, I also know that I see so few instances of coaches teaching their players discipline and right from wrong that this, to me, is refreshing to see.

What about this? I had a girls varsity game the other night and A1 fouled B1 with about 20 secs to go and B up by about 10 points. Both players fell to the ground and as they got up they said a few words to each other. No, we did not call a double technical. By rule, we should have, but it made no sense in this situation and my partner was right there to get them apart. Anyway, I report the foul and we are moving to the free throw line when Coach B comes a few feet on the court, call B1 over to her, grabs her by the chin with two fingers, and spends about 15 seconds grilling her for her behavior with A1. So, here we have two rule violations. One, the coach is out of the coaching box and two, she's delaying the free throw because B1 is the shooter. Do we call anything? Heck no, we watched and smiled (discreetly) and wanted to thank Coach B for teaching B1 a lesson I do not think she will soon forget. I tried to slide a little closer to hear the conversation. All I could get was something about turning her uniform in if it happens again. It was actually refreshing.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Not a big fan of coaches grabbing their players for any reason, even with just two fingers. But no, I wouldn't have had any call either.

Z
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyrao

I had a girls varsity game the other night and A1 fouled B1 with about 20 secs to go and B up by about 10 points. Both players fell to the ground and as they got up they said a few words to each other. No, we did not call a double technical. By rule, we should have, but it made no sense in this situation and my partner was right there to get them apart.
Why didn't it make sense to call the double "T"s in that situation? Isn't this what could be called a learning opportunity for both of those players? It ain't gonna slow the game up either, because there's no FT's for the double Ts and you gotta report A1's personal foul anyway.

Just wondering- not second-guessing.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I had a girls varsity game the other night and A1 fouled B1 with about 20 secs to go and B up by about 10 points. Both players fell to the ground and as they got up they said a few words to each other. No, we did not call a double technical. By rule, we should have, but it made no sense in this situation and my partner was right there to get them apart.
Why didn't it make sense to call the double "T"s in that situation? Isn't this what could be called a learning opportunity for both of those players? It ain't gonna slow the game up either, because there's no FT's for the double Ts and you gotta report A1's personal foul anyway.

JR,

Honestly, I don't really know. I would say two things came to my mind. First, it wasn't any big deal really and my partner was on it instantly and broke them up so the whole argument lasted about 5 seconds. Also, A1 had a T earlier in the game for unsportsmanlike so I really didn't think this little argument called for her to be ejected. The game also was not a rough or heated contest, so maybe that played into it. Finally, I have some ref experience but this is still my first year calling V games so maybe I hesitate a little more than others when it comes to the T call. Right or wrong that's what I was thinking during the whole incident. Any thoughts? Thanks for asking because it makes me go back and re-assess what I was thinking during the whole thing.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 03:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

JR,

Honestly, I don't really know. I would say two things came to my mind. First, it wasn't any big deal really and my partner was on it instantly and broke them up so the whole argument lasted about 5 seconds. Also, A1 had a T earlier in the game for unsportsmanlike so I really didn't think this little argument called for her to be ejected. The game also was not a rough or heated contest, so maybe that played into it. Finally, I have some ref experience but this is still my first year calling V games so maybe I hesitate a little more than others when it comes to the T call. Right or wrong that's what I was thinking during the whole incident. Any thoughts? Thanks for asking because it makes me go back and re-assess what I was thinking during the whole thing.
Sounds like she didn't learn from the first T.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
JR,

[/QUOTE]

Just one thought. I don't know if that first T really made you (or your partner) not give the second. If the player deserves it than give it to her. That is only way they are going to learn. So A's coach fussed, but what did B do?

Don't be afraid to give the players a T when they deserve it...first or second.

Remember that the little stuff builds up to the big.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 04:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Any thoughts?
[/B][/QUOTE]Good points by Rich and Joseph to think about, imo. The bottom line is that you still had the game under good control, which is the main thing. Good job. Btw, I also agree with what you did with the coach. His head was in the right place, and we don't wanna mess around with coaches like that.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

The only problem I would have had with this is if it were my daughter this coach was putting his/her hands on and was embarrassing in front of the entire gym.

Thanks Smitty! I have the "is" syndrome. Sorry Juulie!

And NO, it would make no difference!

[Edited by thumpferee on Jan 27th, 2005 at 05:28 PM]
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
The only problem I would have had with this is if it were my daughter this coach was putting his hands on and embarrassing in front of the entire gym.
Sounded like the coach was a she if that makes any difference.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

The coach was a she and had absolute control over her team. From what I gather she has a lot of respect because no one in the stands seemed to mind. Maybe the fact that they came into the game 16-2 has something to do with it. Overall the kids were disciplined, played the game well, and overall were pretty respectful, good kids. But I would also say that I have had few problems with players this year. Maybe the coaches ought to learn a few lessons from their players.