The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen

FYI, I am dead set against the switch. And unless one lives in our state, and sees how the present system works, one can't say what is the correct or incorrect system for us.
Most states began with boys/girls in the same season. We are being forced to switch by a gaggle of judges who do not live in Michigan. They don't care that 95% of our member schools do not favor the switch.

Michigan, under the present system, ranks 4th in the nation in girl's high school sports participation. Michigan also ranks 5th for NCAA scholarships for girls.

I really don't expect others to understand how difficult it will be. Unless you live in Michigan, you could not know.

Barb
Perhaps we could not know in the empathetic, gut-level way that you know, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess that you're right. Ive spent the last year since I heard about this, trying to figure out how to get Oregon to go to your system. It sounds A LOT better.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 08:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Still in court, I think.

mick probably knows.

As soon as he gets in from shoveling snow, we'll ask him.
Whatever the oatmealqueen says is the way it is.

U.P. here the Girls' contracts have been sent for 2005-2006.
From a sample, it appears that experienced officials have had their varsity schedules halved. (eg, Instead of 20 Girls and 20 Boys, they receive 10 Girls and 10 Boys.)

1st and 2nd year officials are being contracted to work the Girls' Varsity season, while most of the experience will be working Boys Varsity.

mick
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen

FYI, I am dead set against the switch. And unless one lives in our state, and sees how the present system works, one can't say what is the correct or incorrect system for us.
Most states began with boys/girls in the same season. We are being forced to switch by a gaggle of judges who do not live in Michigan. They don't care that 95% of our member schools do not favor the switch.

Michigan, under the present system, ranks 4th in the nation in girl's high school sports participation. Michigan also ranks 5th for NCAA scholarships for girls.

I really don't expect others to understand how difficult it will be. Unless you live in Michigan, you could not know.

Barb
Perhaps we could not know in the empathetic, gut-level way that you know, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess that you're right. Ive spent the last year since I heard about this, trying to figure out how to get Oregon to go to your system. It sounds A LOT better.

I would not expend a lot of energy trying to get Oregon to switch. 48 states or so are aligned the same way and every court across the country that has had a chance to rule on this topic has ruled the "separate but equal" seasons as illegal.

I would also disagree with the statement that it was a bunch of judges outside the state that made this decision, The judge that made the initial ruling was from a Michigan Federal district court...

Now to play devil's advocate...I would also agree that if Michigan was ranked 45th in population that having the 4th highest participation numbers in the country and 5th highest scholarship rate is pretty good, but when Michigan is #8 in population I am not sure the numbers are significant...
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:21pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Now to play devil's advocate...I would also agree that if Michigan was ranked 45th in population that having the 4th highest participation numbers in the country and 5th highest scholarship rate is pretty good, but when Michigan is #8 in population I am not sure the numbers are significant...
Kelvin,
No one is claiming "Better or Best".
Only that Michigan is no worse than rest.
mick
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Kelvin,
No one is claiming "Better or Best".
Only that Michigan is no worse than rest.
mick
You're a poet and don't know it.
You rhyme everytime.
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

We here in S E Mi have dates set for Girls ball in the fall. Of course, this will be a mute point if the switch is going to be made. As far as game dates, if the switch is made, some of the conferences(sp) are talking about Girls JV/V on Tue/Fri the first week with Boys JV/V on Wed. They would then switch for the following week. The state also will schedule the girls to start a week earlier, I am sure there is someone out there that will correct me if I am wrong, so the also can use the Brelin Center in East Lansing as the site for the semi's & finals for the state tournament. We play a schedule of 20 games at present. I am told this maybe reduced or add 2 or 3 saturdays into the mix. As of right know its schedule as if we will still be playing in the fall. I'm not holding my breath....
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 02:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by that's a walk
We here in S E Mi have dates set for Girls ball in the fall.
that's a walk,
You're set for September, and we're set for December.
I wonder if any will even remember.

I never doubted there were two states of Michigan.
Maybe, like Track and Field, The Lower will have there champions and the Upper will have their champions.

mick