The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Is the girls season being played at the same time as the boys season. I know there was talk but is it officially changed for the fall of 2005??

Anyone know??
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

In MICHIGAN SORRY!!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Still in court, I think.

mick probably knows.

As soon as he gets in from shoveling snow, we'll ask him.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Last I heard, the MHSAA had petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court to hear its appeal of the Sixth Circuit opinion (affirming the U.S. District Court's ruling that the separate sports seasons violated the U.S. Constitution). I believe that the parties are waiting to hear from the Court as to whether the appeal will be heard.

If the Court decides to hear the appeal, it will most likely also order a stay of the Sixth Circuit's ruling, thus enabling next year's seasons to go on as in past years (separated). If the Court declines to hear the appeal, the MHSAA will need to comply with the various courts' orders right away (i.e., beginning with the 05-06 year).

We should hear whether the Supreme Court will consider the appeal relatively soon....
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

The MHSAA has indeed taken the final step to the US Supreme Court but internally has decided to forego the fight and is implementing the change for the 2005-06 season.

The effect will be that the girls and the boys will play in the winter season. The boys will play at home while the girls play away alternating on Tuesdays and Fridays.

This will have a dramatic impact on some schools relating to coaching and facility use which could result in various problems including the elimination of Freshman or JV teams for some schools.

You can read about the latest press release at the following link:

http://www.mhsaa.com/news/supreme.htm

Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
The effect will be that the girls and the boys will play in the winter season. The boys will play at home while the girls play away alternating on Tuesdays and Fridays.
A clarification question here: it is my understanding that scheduling is really left up to schools/leagues/conferences and that, while some schools will do as you suggest above (play at home & away sites on the same nights), other schools/leagues/conferences will develop other plans (e.g., play boys on Wed/Fri and girls on Tue/Thu for half the season, then swap for the second half (boys on Tue/Thu, girls on Wed/Fri); or play girls and boys varsity at the same sites on the same nights and the boys and girls Fresh/JV on other nights or at away sites.

Am I wrong that how the schedule shakes out will be different from place to place?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Out of curiosity...why is this raising such a stink? And how do they schedule boys/girls basketball in Michigan today?
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Now, girls play hoops in the fall (mostly Tuesday and Thursday nights); boys play hoops in the winter (mostly Tuesday and Friday nights).

As to why the potential change is raising a "stink," I suppose you'd have to see/recreate the earlier, lengthy threads on this topic....
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it is correct to assume that conferences will have their own scheduled construction but the MHSAA will endorse consistency which could stabilize cross-conference scheduling, facility scheduling, and not to mention the officials.

It is UNLIKELY that the girls will be relegated to play on any other nights not offered to the boys. One of the aspects of gender equity requirements will not allow the boys to get preference over Friday dates thus creating an inequity. The girls will have the same opportunity to secure facility selection, practice time and game time equal to that of the boys. That is, the girls will be allowed to use the "good floor" at the "preferred time" on the "preferred days".
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Out of curiosity...why is this raising such a stink? And how do they schedule boys/girls basketball in Michigan today?
To get a better understanding about the "stink" please visit the MHSAA website listed below:

http://www.mhsaa.com/news/gesuit.html

Here you can read about the whole matter right from the beginning. It is quite interesting if you are into really knowing all the facts. CHECK IT OUT!
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

In NC, we've always played boys and girls in the winter. We play varsity doubleheaders, girls at 6pm, followed by the boys. The 3 man crew works both games.

Some conferences play their JV games at the opposite site, some play all 4 games at the same site. The same JV crew works both games.

I realize that it's a huge change but it's not that difficult to pull off. But I can tell you that if you play the girls games at separate sites, the girls' coaches are going to whine that the boys ganes are getting all the best officials. Mark my words, if they take that scheduling route, it will happen.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 04:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why is this so difficult? Play games on different nights. For the most part the Boy's basketball team plays on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday in my state. But that does not mean they can play 3 games every week. Teams are only allowed to play about 17 games during the regular season. That is modified a bit depending on what type of tournament or shootouts that take place. Usually most conferences play on Tuesdays and Fridays. Fridays are when everyone plays somewhere on the Boy's side. Because of some lawsuits around here, there were a couple of conferences that would play those doubleheaders as Tony mentioned. The problem was that everyone would come to watch the Boy's games and leave for the Girl's games. These conferences would alternate each year which game would go first. When the Boy's games were first, they crowd would be packed. When the second game was the Girl's, everyone would basically leave. So now it seems like the Girl's play in the middle of the Afternoon on Saturday and they Boy's play at night or later in the day. During the week Girl's play mostly on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. But this is the first time I can remember that I have had Boy's games on those typical Girl's nights. All of this apparently to accommodate these conflicts that might come up with officials or "splitting the crowd."

To add, the Girl's go first in their playoff games. So there are at least two weeks where a school will not have any real conflicts with both teams.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I have a sociology of sport class this semester, for which I have to write a term project, and this seems like a pretty interesting topic.

I'm just wondering - if I were to do this, would any of you Michiganers (Michiganians?) be willing to let me pick your brains for some beginning guidance? Thanks.
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Since the 6th Circuit refused the enbanc petition, it will not hit the Supreme Court for awhile. Unless there is some emergency stay, it wont get on the SC docket this session.

I will be interested to see what the court does but given their previous rulings and that there dont appear to be conflicting rulings from other circuits, the court battle does not look very good for MHSAA
Old Mon Jan 24, 2005, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
The MHSAA has indeed taken the final step to the US Supreme Court but internally has decided to forego the fight and is implementing the change for the 2005-06 season.

This will have a dramatic impact on some schools relating to coaching and facility use which could result in various problems including the elimination of Freshman or JV teams for some schools.

You can read about the latest press release at the following link:

http://www.mhsaa.com/news/supreme.htm

Robmoz,
Not quite true that the MHSAA has given up the fight "internally". They will continue the litigation until they lose, and they WILL lose eventually. It could be "05-06" or the next year.
Also, each conference will decide what nights to play on, not the set nights that you cite.

FYI, I am dead set against the switch. And unless one lives in our state, and sees how the present system works, one can't say what is the correct or incorrect system for us.
Most states began with boys/girls in the same season. We are being forced to switch by a gaggle of judges who do not live in Michigan. They don't care that 95% of our member schools do not favor the switch.

Michigan, under the present system, ranks 4th in the nation in girl's high school sports participation. Michigan also ranks 5th for NCAA scholarships for girls.

I really don't expect others to understand how difficult it will be. Unless you live in Michigan, you could not know.

Barb