The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

1.7 left on the clock tied game, A1 is on the line to shoot two in the double bonus,B1,B2 and B3 are lined up in the free throw lanes with all offensive players back to play defense. A1 makes the first free throw, A1 attempts the second free but misses, ball bounces around the rim then falls to the floor, my partner chops the clock but instead of starting the clock the scorers table hits the horn in which all the players stop except the shooter which she grabs the ball and puts it back up and scores the horn sounds to end the game as she released the free throw, basket good. we sent all players back to thier benches for we could talk it over. we decided that the horn couldn't stop the clock and called the game, i think our only other option we could of done is to put 1.7 on the clock and give the ball back to team A because they gained control. what is the correct thing do by the letter of the rule in this situation? did we blow this one. this was at team A gym.

Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Did the CO start the clock and sound the horn simultaneously? Did your partner chop the clock prematurely?

The ball was live, so if the shot was released prior to the ending horn, the basket counts. Previous horn freezing players isn't your responsibility.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Once the clocked sounded, the ball is dead. My understanding is that it was not in either team's possession, so you have to go with the arrow.

I also seems to me that your P started the clock prematurely, in which case I'd put 1.7s back on the clock and inbound the ball from the team who has the arrow.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

partner said he chopped the clock when the ball hit the ground, i believe team B was confused when there was no offensive players in the box. just a bad way to end a game. i dont have a case book, just wondering if theres a simuler ruling in the book?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

The clock does not start until it touches a player. NOT the floor, your partner is confusing when a try ends and when to start the clock.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 12:55am
M.A.S.H.

Sounds like time probably should of been put back on the clock. Interesting situation, ever figure out why he/she hit the horn?
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

clock operater said he went to start the clock and hit the horn button by mistake, CO did start the clock after he tapped the horn button. im looking for a clarifacation on the rule that a inavertant horn does not cause the ball to become dead? any help. blindzebra, i thought on a free throw the ball becomes live (clock starts) when it touches a player or the court?

[Edited by roadking on Jan 22nd, 2005 at 09:49 AM]
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 10:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
1) clock operater said he went to start the clock and hit the horn button by mistake, CO did start the clock after he tapped the horn button. im looking for a clarifacation on the rule that a inavertant horn does not cause the ball to become dead? any help.

2) blindzebra, i thought on a free throw the ball becomes live (clock starts) when it touches a player or the court?

1)Case book play 2.11.3--"If the scorer signals when the ball is live,the official should ignore the signal if a scoring play was in progress. Otherwise, the official may stop play to determine the reason for the scorer's signal".

2) Rule 5-9-3. Clock starts when it touches a player on the court, not the court.
Old Sat Jan 22, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I have read the original post a couple of times over two days, and finally had an epiphany. With 1.7 seconds left and the ball live, the accidental horning did not have the mere effect of an accidental horning in the middle of a quarter when the horn is not expected. The end of game signal was simulated. The seems closer to someone blowing a whistle while standing next to the official than the horn in the middle of the game. A signal to stop play as opposed to a signal from the table to the officials.

I am not sure this sitch has a right answer.

I would go to AP with 1.7 seconds left.