The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Mick,
Yeah I am with ya there. I think if it were me, I don't know if I would ask that he come back, but for sure make sure game management (if he is from the home team) or one of his coaches knows he left, and go with him... If he is that upset he may fall into the category of when we would ask him to leave the bench anyway LOL
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: I don't disagree

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
JR, I don't disagree, but the way I read the situation, it is saying that we shouldn't ask them to leave unless for circumstances that the case book talks about, but if they want to go to the locker room on their own or go home, that is up to them and game management. I just don't think I would T the kid up for leaving the building, but then again, one would have to see it to be sure.
cmathews,
Here's my bet on JR.
He'd go to the coach and suggest the player come back.
YU.P., personally I'd take a minute and talk to the head coach about it without getting into a T(unless the kid did something outrageous further). Explain to the coach why he has to be on the bench, and why he has to have an adult with him if he does leave.

This isn't a nit that I would like to pick either. I certainly agree with cmathews on that. I was just pointing out that the rule exists and where it was in the book.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Rich,
Where is the rules reference that says a DQ'd player can't leave? I understand if he is showing you up during or because of leaving. I don't have my books, but exactly where is it that it says he can't leave?? I really think this is a coaching/administration issue, similar to the number of quarters kids can play....
It's not a coaching/administation issue; it's a rule.

Case book play 10.5SitA--"A disqualified team member or student bench personnel shall go to or remain on the bench".
AND it's a Point of Emphasis for NFHS this year. "The committee is also concerned about bench personnel leaving the bench, sometimes during a live ball. Heading into the hallway to get a drink or sitting up in the stands with friends or family, even for a brief period of time, are not authorized reasons unless they are medically related. Coaches must ensure that bench personnel remain on the bench" (POE 3A, pg. 70; emphasis mine).