The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

For those that saw the game last night, what did you think of the refs. demeanor (the one who called the 1st T for delay of game on FSU). Our board President has made it clear that as much as possible, emotions are to be kept out of officiating. To see this official seemingly infuriated over what I believe was a violation that merited a warning rather than a T, was unbelievable. You would have thought that someone just slapped his mother. I am not doubting his right to make the call, but in a close game like that every little thing, including the officials demeanor, can swing momentum UNFAVORABLY from one team to another. Am I all wet, or is that how you all approach games.

[Edited by TheRefinator on Jan 19th, 2005 at 11:20 AM]
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TheRefinator
For those that saw the game last night, what did you think of the refs. demeanor (the one who called the 1st T for delay of game on FSU). Our board President has made it clear that as much as possible, emotions are to be kept out of officiating. To see this official seemingly infuriated over what I believe was a violation that merited a warning rather than a T, was unbelievable. You would have thought that someone just slapped his mother. I am not doubting his right to make the call, but in a close game like that every little thing, including the officials demeanor, can swing momentum UNFAVORABLY from one team to another. Am I all wet, or is that how you all approach games.

You're second guessing. You don't know all of the circumstances unless you were out on the floor with the guys. Do you know if anybody on the bench maybe made a remark that mighta set the guy off?

Those guys are working major D1 ball and doing those tv games for a reason. They're good. And they don't keep doing that level if they're predisposed to losing their tempers.

Personally, I would never, ever dream of judging officials without hearing their side of the story.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
what I believe was a violation that merited a warning rather than a T,
Please describe the play.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Am I all wet, or is that how you all approach games.
I approach different games in different ways. If I'd been working that level of ball for the length of time those guys have, I'd probably approach it that way. I guess I'm saying, you're all wet. I mean, you asked...
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I was waiting for comments from that game and I watched it also. I notice that there was a crash that wasnt called too. The "T" that was given was shocking to me and maybe we just didnt see the warning. Even the commentators made reference to the "T". Anyway, I dont judge other officiating and its easy to officiate from the stands or from home! Just my 2 cents.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

You're second guessing. You don't know all of the circumstances unless you were out on the floor with the guys. Do you know if anybody on the bench maybe made a remark that mighta set the guy off?

Those guys are working major D1 ball and doing those tv games for a reason. They're good. And they don't keep doing that level if they're predisposed to losing their tempers.

Personally, I would never, ever dream of judging officials without hearing their side of the story.

Nobody said the official didn't earn his way to that position, I was commenting on his demeanor. As far as a remark that might have "set him off", don't you think that would have brought a bench T, especially in the frame of mind he was at the time. I understand that the coaches at that level can be merciless, but if they are as good as you make them out to be, then they have seen it all and heard it all before, and should be the level headed ones on the floor. The guy was pissed, and shouldn't have been, and that is the end of the story.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IREFU2
Even the commentators made reference to the "T".
What's that supposed to mean?
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 05:35am
Official Forum Member

The official that called the first T was Duke Edsall. He is good official, but he may have kicked this one. An FSU player had just made a dunk. He had turned to run upcourt, but then turned back around as if he were supposed to be in a pressing defense. The ball bounced near him when he reversed his course. He grabbed the ball and tossed it away. The ball went over the endline near a corner and back by some spectators/cheerleaders.
I think Edsall felt that this action was purposely delaying the game, and issued a T. I believe that the rules only permit the delay of game warning following a goal. I would be surprised if the NCAA rules would support a T in this situation.
I'm not the expert on NCAA rules though.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 06:47am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
The official that called the first T was Duke Edsall. He is good official, but he may have kicked this one. An FSU player had just made a dunk. He had turned to run upcourt, but then turned back around as if he were supposed to be in a pressing defense. The ball bounced near him when he reversed his course. He grabbed the ball and tossed it away. The ball went over the endline near a corner and back by some spectators/cheerleaders.
I think Edsall felt that this action was purposely delaying the game, and issued a T. I believe that the rules only permit the delay of game warning following a goal. I would be surprised if the NCAA rules would support a T in this situation.
You are right, Duke is good. I did not see the play so I'm just going by what you described. If this play happened like you described it is a delay of game and a T if the team had been warned. I cannot speak about Duke's demeanor at the time but he could have been upset that the team did that and he had to call a T. Just throwing that possibility out there. Trust me when I tell you, nobody in the ACC, Big South or Colonial wants to make a mistake and end up being on a video clip so the T was probably earned. Mr. Barakat will put any play from anyone on the website if it is a good example or a bad example. I will check the website right now to see if it is one there.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
I would be surprised if the NCAA rules would support a T in this situation.
NCAA 10-3-17 (last year's reference) "Attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal ..."