Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiliBob
Yep, happens all the time but, all too often, I see this called as a foul on the defense when A1 turns to try and get the ball loose. Make sure you see the whole play and call the held ball if that is what it is first.
If A1 has two hands on the ball and B1 has one, I don't have a held ball situation, because it does not fit the definition. 4-25-1

Unless one kid has a VERY big hand, the kid with two hands on the ball will not need undue roughness to get sole control of the ball.

I see WAY TOO MANY held balls called, WAY TOO QUICKLY.

I also see officials that allow upright players to attack the ball and tie it up from the side or behind and give them the held ball when in most cases it SHOULD have been a foul.

[Edited by blindzebra on Jan 20th, 2005 at 03:46 PM]
This is exactly the reasoning I used in determining my travel instead of a held ball in the situation I laid out in another thread. There appears to be no situation where a defender can have only one hand on the ball and have that cause a jump ball OTHER THAN when the player on offense is an airborne shooter.
I went back and read that thread and I agree with a travel, if you are certain PC was not lost on the touch.

Now you will see a two hand grab and a pull-away stumble more often than your play, and in that type of play I'd more likely go with a held ball, because the pulling away more closely fits the definition of undue roughness.