The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I was asked this and thought I would have the board weigh in on the matter.

Girls Varsity NFHS game. 4th QTR. Team A has increased their lead to 15 points and Team B calls a time out. Team B comes out of the time out and B1 begins man to man coverage on one of the officials. This continues for 3 trips down the court - 4 girls guarding 5 girls and one girl doing close man to man coverage on the referee.

The implication was that the referee was a member of Team A and needed to be guarded.

Do you ignore?
Do you T the girl?
Do you T the coach?
Do you forfeit?
Do you send letters?

Thanks for your responses.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:05am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA

Girls Varsity NFHS game. 4th QTR. Team A has increased their lead to 15 points and Team B calls a time out. Team B comes out of the time out and B1 begins man to man coverage on one of the officials. This continues for 3 trips down the court - 4 girls guarding 5 girls and one girl doing close man to man coverage on the referee.

The implication was that the referee was a member of Team A and needed to be guarded.

Do you ignore?
Do you T the girl?
Do you T the coach?
Do you forfeit?
Do you send letters?

It should never last that long. T the girl as soon as you realize what she's doing. I'd consider a flagrant T on the coach, since you know the player is doing this under her coach's orders.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PA Official
Was this down there in Beaver County? Crazy place!!!

Someone brought this up in another thread either yesterday or two days ago. It would've lasted about 5 seconds if I was being guarded, although I probably would've scored by then!!
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 10:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA

Do you ignore?
Do you T the girl?
Do you T the coach?
Do you forfeit?
Do you send letters?

See the thread below called "This may be first....ever" -started by Thumpfree. That's where your friend got the situation from.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. It sounds like the same game. I get asked all these weird questions and situations by many other refs in my chapter. Elections are coming up and some want be to run for "Rules Interpreter" - we will see what happens. Thanks to the board over the years for improving rules knowledge and court wisdom.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I have a flagrant technical foul on the head coach.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:11pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
I have a flagrant technical foul on the head coach.
Dittos.
Old Thu Jan 20, 2005, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

For what it is worth, I think I have a flagrant technical foul on the coach *and* a technical foul on the player. Sure, the coach is the one primarily responsible for the behavior, but the player is the one who actually carried it out.

If a coach says "Go punch that player" and her/his player does as s/he is told, both (coach and player who threw the punch) get tossed. If a coach says "Go swear at the ref" and her/his player does as s/he is told, coach gets flagrant technical and player gets technical. If a coach says "Go swear at the ref" and her/his player doesn't do as s/he is told, only the coach gets the flagrant T. Even though in the situation described in this thread is the player only as a foot soldier for the coach's bad attitude/judgment, on the court we hold people responsible for what they do. (Hence, offending player gets penalized as well as the coach). My $.02.