The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How would you handle this? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17774-how-would-you-handle.html)

Ref in PA Thu Jan 20, 2005 08:58am

I was asked this and thought I would have the board weigh in on the matter.

Girls Varsity NFHS game. 4th QTR. Team A has increased their lead to 15 points and Team B calls a time out. Team B comes out of the time out and B1 begins man to man coverage on one of the officials. This continues for 3 trips down the court - 4 girls guarding 5 girls and one girl doing close man to man coverage on the referee.

The implication was that the referee was a member of Team A and needed to be guarded.

Do you ignore?
Do you T the girl?
Do you T the coach?
Do you forfeit?
Do you send letters?

Thanks for your responses.

Adam Thu Jan 20, 2005 09:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref in PA

Girls Varsity NFHS game. 4th QTR. Team A has increased their lead to 15 points and Team B calls a time out. Team B comes out of the time out and B1 begins man to man coverage on one of the officials. This continues for 3 trips down the court - 4 girls guarding 5 girls and one girl doing close man to man coverage on the referee.

The implication was that the referee was a member of Team A and needed to be guarded.

Do you ignore?
Do you T the girl?
Do you T the coach?
Do you forfeit?
Do you send letters?

It should never last that long. T the girl as soon as you realize what she's doing. I'd consider a flagrant T on the coach, since you know the player is doing this under her coach's orders.

PA Official Thu Jan 20, 2005 09:09am

Was this down there in Beaver County? Crazy place!!! :)

Someone brought this up in another thread either yesterday or two days ago. It would've lasted about 5 seconds if I was being guarded, although I probably would've scored by then!!

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:40am

Quote:

Originally posted by Ref in PA

Do you ignore?
Do you T the girl?
Do you T the coach?
Do you forfeit?
Do you send letters?

See the thread below called "This may be first....ever" -started by Thumpfree. That's where your friend got the situation from.

Ref in PA Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:03am

Thanks. It sounds like the same game. I get asked all these weird questions and situations by many other refs in my chapter. Elections are coming up and some want be to run for "Rules Interpreter" - we will see what happens. Thanks to the board over the years for improving rules knowledge and court wisdom.

BktBallRef Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:50am

I have a flagrant technical foul on the head coach.

tjones1 Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
I have a flagrant technical foul on the head coach.
Dittos.

bgtg19 Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:30pm

For what it is worth, I think I have a flagrant technical foul on the coach *and* a technical foul on the player. Sure, the coach is the one primarily responsible for the behavior, but the player is the one who actually carried it out.

If a coach says "Go punch that player" and her/his player does as s/he is told, both (coach and player who threw the punch) get tossed. If a coach says "Go swear at the ref" and her/his player does as s/he is told, coach gets flagrant technical and player gets technical. If a coach says "Go swear at the ref" and her/his player doesn't do as s/he is told, only the coach gets the flagrant T. Even though in the situation described in this thread is the player only as a foot soldier for the coach's bad attitude/judgment, on the court we hold people responsible for what they do. (Hence, offending player gets penalized as well as the coach). My $.02.