The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A player has just received the ball for his first attempted free throw and he doesn't bounce the ball but his pre shot routine consist of a practice shot that goes about 4 feet above him(not towards the basket) then takes two dribbles then shoots. Is this legal or not?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by afrothunda
A player has just received the ball for his first attempted free throw and he doesn't bounce the ball but his pre shot routine consist of a practice shot that goes about 4 feet above him(not towards the basket) then takes two dribbles then shoots. Is this legal or not?
Yes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Yes
Really? What if the practice shot disconcerts one of the defenders to step into the lane? Then you'll penalize the defender?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, because the defender should not be in the lane until the ball hits the rim anyway.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In HS, players can't go in the lane til the ball first hits the backboard or rim anyway, why would this pre free throw ritual matter?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Crap. Good point.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
In HS, players can't go in the lane til the ball first hits the backboard or rim anyway, why would this pre free throw ritual matter?
Balls got to hit iron.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:
Balls got to hit iron.
Bet $100.00 on that?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

rim, net, or backboard
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
rim, net, or backboard
9-1,10

ring or backboard. Sorry, no net mentioned. Am I missing something? Please share!

Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

So I am assuming that this would not be considered a fake?? 9-2,4.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

What does the rulebook say about a fake attempt? Even with the fact that a defender shouldn't be jumping into the lane till the ball hits backboard or rim, I still just think a practice shot is wrong. I don't have my books handy, so I would be tempted to call this a fake attempt and penalize the shooter.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

It may touch just the net, but if it did there would be no rebound to get. dead ball available for throw in
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS states 9-1,4 The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 06:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
What does the rulebook say about a fake attempt? Even with the fact that a defender shouldn't be jumping into the lane till the ball hits backboard or rim, I still just think a practice shot is wrong. I don't have my books handy, so I would be tempted to call this a fake attempt and penalize the shooter.
Man, that's just too big of a reach for me, Smitty. Call a ball thrown 4 feet straight above the FT shooter a practise shot? What is he practising? How to miss his free throw?

This is a nit that should never be picked. The kid just has his own way of getting himself prepared for his free throw. No harm/no foul--leave it alone and let him do it. We got a heckuva lot more things to worry about in a game than this one.