The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free Throw Question? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/17756-free-throw-question.html)

afrothunda Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:03pm

A player has just received the ball for his first attempted free throw and he doesn't bounce the ball but his pre shot routine consist of a practice shot that goes about 4 feet above him(not towards the basket) then takes two dribbles then shoots. Is this legal or not?

gordon30307 Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by afrothunda
A player has just received the ball for his first attempted free throw and he doesn't bounce the ball but his pre shot routine consist of a practice shot that goes about 4 feet above him(not towards the basket) then takes two dribbles then shoots. Is this legal or not?
Yes

Smitty Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Yes

Really? What if the practice shot disconcerts one of the defenders to step into the lane? Then you'll penalize the defender?

Redhouse Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:21pm

Yep, because the defender should not be in the lane until the ball hits the rim anyway.

thumpferee Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:23pm

Quote:

In HS, players can't go in the lane til the ball first hits the backboard or rim anyway, why would this pre free throw ritual matter?

Smitty Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:26pm

Crap. Good point. :)

gordon30307 Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:

In HS, players can't go in the lane til the ball first hits the backboard or rim anyway, why would this pre free throw ritual matter?

Balls got to hit iron.

thumpferee Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:

Originally posted by thumpferee
Quote:

Balls got to hit iron.

Bet $100.00 on that?

Redhouse Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:32pm

rim, net, or backboard

thumpferee Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Redhouse
rim, net, or backboard
9-1,10

ring or backboard. Sorry, no net mentioned. Am I missing something? Please share!

afrothunda Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:46pm

So I am assuming that this would not be considered a fake?? 9-2,4.

Smitty Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:50pm

What does the rulebook say about a fake attempt? Even with the fact that a defender shouldn't be jumping into the lane till the ball hits backboard or rim, I still just think a practice shot is wrong. I don't have my books handy, so I would be tempted to call this a fake attempt and penalize the shooter.

Redhouse Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:54pm

It may touch just the net, but if it did there would be no rebound to get. dead ball available for throw in

afrothunda Wed Jan 19, 2005 05:56pm

NFHS states 9-1,4 The free thrower shall not fake a try, nor shall any player in a marked lane space fake to cause an opponent to violate.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 19, 2005 06:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
What does the rulebook say about a fake attempt? Even with the fact that a defender shouldn't be jumping into the lane till the ball hits backboard or rim, I still just think a practice shot is wrong. I don't have my books handy, so I would be tempted to call this a fake attempt and penalize the shooter.
Man, that's just too big of a reach for me, Smitty. Call a ball thrown 4 feet straight above the FT shooter a practise shot? What is he practising? How to <b>miss</b> his free throw?

This is a nit that should never be picked. The kid just has his own way of getting himself prepared for his free throw. No harm/no foul--leave it alone and let him do it. We got a heckuva lot more things to worry about in a game than this one.