The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I have a growing and I think legitimate concern. Asking experience and consensus.

When we fill out our pay slips at the start of the game - there is a lot of valuable and personal data made available, in duplicate and left laying around the cash box.

As a reasonably aware reader of current events the increase of identity theft is a growing and extremely frustrating occurrence.

A name, address and Social security number – as is placed on all our pay sheets – could be a disaster in the wrong hands.

Comments?
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:02pm
M.A.S.H.

I know your feeling. I have actually stopped putting my SS# on my contracts. If they need it I have no problem giving it to them, however the AD of the school is going to have to call me and request it.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I won't put my SS# on a credit card application let alone give it to a coach or AD.

If they need it they're gonna have to request it.

This makes me glad that all my pay is filtered through the association, that way they're the only ones who have my personal information.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

We get paid directly by the schools. Every game will fill out new vouchers requesting SS# and other information.

They are left with the cash box. Heavens knews where that goes and who gets their hands on it.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

While I can understand your concern, most of the places I have gone has security at the table because of the cash (we generally complete the paperwork there so a district/school employee is sure the information is gathered). That makes it less likely that someone, other than those working "the gate" is going to get the information.

Besides, there is nothing to stop anyone working for any of the schools from randomly handing out that information on any individual being paid.

Guess you could ask that the information be put in a "secure" area (like maybe folded and put in the bottom of the cash box) but I'm not sure that would dramatically reduce your risk.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

In Illinois, officials need to opt out of having their address and phone number posted on the IHSA general website. Anyone who so desires can go to the site, click on officials directory and get that information.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
In Illinois, officials need to opt out of having their address and phone number posted on the IHSA general website. Anyone who so desires can go to the site, click on officials directory and get that information.
Wow, that's not good at all. Why do refs not get this changed?

Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

I give them Chuck's SS# so it's not a concern for me.

Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:27pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I give them Chuck's SS# so it's not a concern for me.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:30pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I think the main reason is because this is where AD's get their contact information. I could be wrong. I know as officials, in our Official's Center, we have a feature that we can look up officials, etc. I'm not sure if this feature is a part of the School's Center or not. I would guess it would be, but sometimes the way AD's call me asking if I know anyone makes me wonder.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Guess you could ask that the information be put in a "secure" area (like maybe folded and put in the bottom of the cash box) but I'm not sure that would dramatically reduce your risk.
If one is that concerned about it, why not just throw a few envelopes in your bag. Put the pay slip in the envelope when you complete it and seal it.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Quote:
I think the main reason is because this is where AD's get their contact information. I could be wrong. I know as officials, in our Official's Center, we have a feature that we can look up officials, etc. I'm not sure if this feature is a part of the School's Center or not. I would guess it would be, but sometimes the way AD's call me asking if I know anyone makes me wonder.
Our roster is available on our website, but not to the public. You have to apply for a password, and have it granted. Surely the IHSA could do that for AD's and refs.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Quote:
Quote:
Our roster is available on our website, but not to the public. You have to apply for a password, and have it granted. Surely the IHSA could do that for AD's and refs.
Even with our website showing our contact info, I wouldn't want my SS# being posted on the site.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:45pm
M.A.S.H.

Refs have their own ID number (used for ratings) and it's their login. Only officials can access this page. You can, take exams, search for officials, change your personal information, etc. AD have their own as well because they are allowed to rate officials. So I would guess they have this feature as well. Just makes me wonder sometimes! And actually, I'm heading over to IHSA right now to get my name pulled.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

While I don't do basketball I do officiate football, and we normally have to complete the paperwork before the game. We simply hand it to the AD. Why can't you do this with you basketball vouchers?