The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Where do you wear them? If you wear them.

L/R arm sleeve?

Below collar on middle back?

Are they required?
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

I do not know if there is an offical policy (NFHS) with regard to the placement of or the unauthorized wearing of the flag. State and / or local associations may have guides. To my knowledge, no association came out against wearing a flag however I do not believe it to be mandatory anywhere. Common sense should be used as a rule. a simple 2x3 flag on the sleeve or even behind the back collar seem to be where I have seen them.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
In Nassau County (Long Island, NY) we started to wear a small flag on the back of the shirt below the collar after 9/11. Personally, I think that it looks stupid there and should have been worn on the left sleeve.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Smile WI has authorized them

WIAA has approved wearing a 2x3 inch flag on the left sleeve.

However; as mentioned by Imaref in another thread...

It's all or nothing proposition. All officials need to be in the same uniform.

For better or worse, WI is predominantly 2-whistle crews; therefore, it is a better chance of having a partner with the same uniform.

[Edited by williebfree on Jan 18th, 2005 at 10:27 PM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

My local TASO chapter makes the optional. I know the local football chapter has made them mandatory. I don't remember ever hearing anything about where we should attach them.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

In the two states I work they are optional, but if worn they must be centered on the right sleeve about 1 1/2 - 2" from the shoulder. I wear them on basketball and volleyball uniforms. I would on soccer, but your state insignia goes on the left shirt pocket velcro patch.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
In Portland, Oregon, after 9/11 the commissioner said, "Everyone wears them or no one. And I know at least a few who will refuse, so no one wears them." some college officials in this area, however, must; I'm not sure about the details.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:14am
M.A.S.H.

Here if you wear them on your stripes, they are suppose to be over your heart. However I've only seen one official do this. Most of them put the left sleeve flag on their right sleeve. As for me, I just have one on the back my pre-game jacket.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

In Illinois, the IHSA patch goes on the left sleeve. Many of the officials have been placing the flag on the right sleeve. At the state tournament last year, the IHSA made officials remove flags from their right sleeves. They explained that the field of blue is supposed to be over the heart and that unless you have a flag with the field to the right, you couldn't wear it on your right sleeve.

I also noted that our military has started wearing a flag on the right sleve of some BDU's with the blue field to the right.

I'm retired Air Force so the next trip I make to a base will include a trip to clothing sales to get a handfull of those reversed field flags.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

tharbert,

I did not hear anything about the IHSA wanted flags removed? At least not at the Class AA Boy's State Final games. I will ask one the officials that worked that Final in about two weeks. I will ask him about it. But I have not heard any information that did not allow us to wear the flag on our right shoulder. Having said that, not many officials wear the American Flag anyway. It really comes down to personal preference as it if you wear one or not.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveM
Interesting...

I just happened to have a copy of the 04-05 IHSA
Sports Officials Handbook and on page 21 it states:

A. Patches

1a. IHSA member patch shall be worn on the left sleeve approx. 2 to 3 inches below shouder line.

1b. Patches on coats should be worn just below the shoulder line of the coat sleeve.

skipping down to e.

"The flag (2" x 3") may be worn on the right sleeve approx. 2" below the shoulder line. The stars should point forward on the right sleeve. (This is not mandatory.)". This is a direct quote.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

My wife is in the US Army, 18 yrs. If a flag is worn on the right sleeve, it should be reversed so the flag seems to be waving backward from the direction you are walking, representing going into battle.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Here it is high school; back of collar one inch down from the piping on the neck and for all my colege games it is left sleeve. Either way, the rule is all wear a flag or none wear a flag which is a reason I have four shirts in my bag (two with a flag and two without).
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tharbert
In Illinois, the IHSA patch goes on the left sleeve. Many of the officials have been placing the flag on the right sleeve. At the state tournament last year, the IHSA made officials remove flags from their right sleeves. They explained that the field of blue is supposed to be over the heart and that unless you have a flag with the field to the right, you couldn't wear it on your right sleeve.

I also noted that our military has started wearing a flag on the right sleve of some BDU's with the blue field to the right.

I'm retired Air Force so the next trip I make to a base will include a trip to clothing sales to get a handfull of those reversed field flags.
The US Army wears a US Flag on the uniform in a deployed/at war environment. I wore one in Macedonia as part of KFOR and in Iraq. The current regulation is that all soldiers will have a flag on their uniform.

The flag that the goes on the right sleeve has the field of blue to the front. as mentioned in another post it makes the flag look like is blowing in the wind as it would if being taken into battle.

For most people this flag looks backwards when looking at it. It is an approved flag design.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 02:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
My wife is in the US Army, 18 yrs. If a flag is worn on the right sleeve, it should be reversed so the flag seems to be waving backward from the direction you are walking, representing going into battle.
There has been a big debate about that very thing with many officials. I wear an American Flag for my football crew and it is pointed (apparently) in the wrong direction. I bought the flag at a uniform shop in my town. It is a place where local police, fireman and post office personnel can buy uniforms or accessories for their uniform. No one told me it made a difference. They are the ones that sowed on the flag.

Peace