The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am an intramural supervisor at a University and we play by high school rules. Well, tonight we were completing our official's training for our basketball league and the backboard rules came up in discussion.

I know that on a Rect. Backboard that the top and the sides are in (as well as the front of the board) and that the back of the board is out. Is the bottom in or out of play? We attempted to find the rules but they have eluded 6 of us in the rule book, could you give the notation please. Thank you all!
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdmara
I am an intramural supervisor at a University and we play by high school rules. Well, tonight we were completing our official's training for our basketball league and the backboard rules came up in discussion.

I know that on a Rect. Backboard that the top and the sides are in (as well as the front of the board) and that the back of the board is out. Is the bottom in or out of play? We attempted to find the rules but they have eluded 6 of us in the rule book, could you give the notation please. Thank you all!
All sides are in play!

Rule 7.1.2

The ball is OOB when it touches:
a.A player who is OOB
b.Any other person, the floor, or any object on or outside the boundary
c.The supports or back of the backboard
d.The ceiling, overhead equipment or supports

Also see Case Book 7.1.2 A

[Edited by thumpferee on Jan 18th, 2005 at 07:29 PM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I understand that rule would exclude the bottom of the board from being out of bounds. My problem with that is that the case book doesn't address the bottom of the board at all but it addresses all the other sides. I guess I've always heard/thought it was out of bounds and now I have doubt
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

All sides are in play!

As 7.1.2 States, the ball is OOB when it touches etc...

It doesn't say bottom of backboard.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
All edges of the rectangular board are in bounds. The back and all supports are out of bounds.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I understand that rule would exclude the bottom of the board from being out of bounds. My problem with that is that the case book doesn't address the bottom of the board at all but it addresses all the other sides. I guess I've always heard/thought it was out of bounds and now I have doubt
NFHS rule 4-4-5--"A ball which which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is treated the same as touching the floor inbounds....."

It says "edges"-which is all edges, including top, sides and bottom.

If you ever use NCAA rules, it's the same. The rules are on-line @ http://www.ncaa.org and you can find this one somewhere at the start of the NCAA rule #4 too

Welcome to the forum. All questions welcomed.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 18th, 2005 at 09:33 PM]
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 11:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You'll find that most officials will tell you if it isn't prohibited, it's legal. In this case, an absence of specific mention indicate that it's legal.
Remember also that it is oob if the ball travels over the backboard, from either direction.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 06:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
[/B]
In this case, an absence of specific mention indicate that it's legal.
[/B][/QUOTE]You got me confused on this one, Snaqs. In this case, it is specifically mentioned in NFHS rule 4-4-5, as posted above. That rule states that the edges of a back board are treated as being in bounds.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[/B]
You got me confused on this one, Snaqs. In this case, it is specifically mentioned in NFHS rule 4-4-5, as posted above. That rule states that the edges of a back board are treated as being in bounds. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think Snaq was referring to me JR. I stopped looking for another rule when I found 7.1.2

4.4.5 is definitely more specific
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:13am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Quote:
[/B]
You got me confused on this one, Snaqs. In this case, it is specifically mentioned in NFHS rule 4-4-5, as posted above. That rule states that the edges of a back board are treated as being in bounds. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry, JR.
I was referring more to jdmara's objection that he couldn't find anything directly stating "the bottom" of the backboard. You are correct regarding the "edges," obviously. However, it seems jdmara was looking for something along the lines of "if the ball hits the bottom of the backboard, it is not a violation."
It's like saying, "If a player takes more than one step between dribbles, it's not a violation." You don't need the wording because the travel rule doesn't prohibit it; but I believe it is might be there somewhere as a note or something.

Adam
Old Wed Jan 19, 2005, 09:48am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You got me confused on this one, Snaqs. In this case, it is specifically mentioned in NFHS rule 4-4-5, as posted above. That rule states that the edges of a back board are treated as being in bounds. [/B]
Sorry, JR.
I was referring more to jdmara's objection that he couldn't find anything directly stating "the bottom" of the backboard. You are correct regarding the "edges," obviously. However, it seems jdmara was looking for something along the lines of "if the ball hits the bottom of the backboard, it is not a violation."
It's like saying, "If a player takes more than one step between dribbles, it's not a violation." You don't need the wording because the travel rule doesn't prohibit it; but I believe it is might be there somewhere as a note or something.

Adam [/B][/QUOTE]Ah, I see now where the confusion mighta come in. Any rectangle has 4 edges-- the top, bottom, and two sides. I just kinda assumed that everyone knew that, and I think that the FED assumed the same thing when they wrote 4-4-5. The purpose and intent anyway of 4-4-5 is to say that we treat the top, bottom and both sides (but not the back side ) of the backboard as being inbounds.I think that rule might cover jdmara's concern.