Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Question

I want some feedback from this forum!

I just found out one of my partners ditched a high school game that we were working together to accept a high school county championship game. He had originally told me that he "couldn't do this particular game with me because he was going to be out-of-town." I said, "No problem! I'll get a sub for you" and I did. The game was this past Saturday night. I opened the paper on Sunday morning and lo and behold...I see his name IN THE BOXSCORE of the county championship game!! I was not too happy!!!

I had been warned about this guy 6 years ago...that he does this kind of thing...but figured he'd have a clean slate with me until proven otherwise. Well, I think I've finally caught him...even though he has mysteriously had to reschedule a few other games with me over the past 4 years. I am trying to reach the assigner who scheduled the tournament to see when he contacted this official to work this game. I want NOTHING but facts if/when I call this guy to discuss this past weekend.

So, I have a few questions for you officials:

1.) How would you handle this?
2.) What would you do with the rest of the games you have scheduled with this official?
3.) How far would you go to "straighten" this guy out?

Our integrity is our most coveted attribute...and by giving up games to get better games on the same level, we are compromising it in my book!! If he were giving up HS games for college games, that would be different!
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref

I just found out one of my partners ditched a high school game that we were working together to accept a high school county championship game. He had originally told me that he "couldn't do this particular game with me because he was going to be out-of-town." I said, "No problem! I'll get a sub for you" and I did. The game was this past Saturday night. I opened the paper on Sunday morning and lo and behold...I see his name IN THE BOXSCORE of the county championship game!! I was not too happy!!!

I had been warned about this guy 6 years ago...that he does this kind of thing...but figured he'd have a clean slate with me until proven otherwise. Well, I think I've finally caught him...even though he has mysteriously had to reschedule a few other games with me over the past 4 years. I am trying to reach the assigner who scheduled the tournament to see when he contacted this official to work this game. I want NOTHING but facts if/when I call this guy to discuss this past weekend.

2.) What would you do with the rest of the games you have scheduled with this official?

Our integrity is our most coveted attribute...and by giving up games to get better games on the same level, we are compromising it in my book!! If he were giving up HS games for college games, that would be different!
1. I'm kind of a laid back guy. As long as I had a good partner I could care less who I work with. Hopefully my partner feels the same about me.

2. While it may have been a lateral move it was a championship game. I can understand wanting to do that.

3. About the only thing you can be critical about is the excuse that he gave you. Perhaps he didn't want to offend you.

My question to you is. If he was upfront about this would you have had any objections?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

as far as i'm concerned, if he gave the assignor ample time to get a qualified replacement, i really don't have an issue with it. the only thing i see here is that he felt the need to give you the "run-around". if he's a friend, i'd tell him to be straight up with me in the future, if he's not a friend, i'd probably tell him the same.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref

I try not to get too caught up in what other officials do so long as a I have a decent partner(s) to work a game with. If you were warned about this guy 6 years ago, it doesn't sound like he's any big secret.

Besides, you can't legislate integrity. If this official doesn't have it, he never will.

Z
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

IndyRef,
I agree that our integrity is our most coveted possesion. With that in mind I disagree with your assesment that it is ok to turn back a game to move up a level but not laterally to a championship game. It is either ok or it isn't, the reason why isn't important. When he said he was going to be out of town it was ok with you, but when you found out he worked another game that is when the issue arose. He didn't lie to you, he just didn't tell the entire truth. If he had told you he had an opportunity to work that game, would you have let him out of his game with you?

I personally think he should have told you why he wanted out, and let you decide to find someone...but over all I see a lot of inconsistency in your thinking, and I wouldn't really get too excited about what he did...maybe keep it in mind in the future however.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Here are my two cents..

So what?

He took what could have been a better game, maybe the assignor needed a strong referee,

If he worked it out between the two assignors it makes no difference and you are getting too worried about this.

However, if he took the game to not work with you, then there is something else you would have to take a look at.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I don't understand how things work in your area. Here all of our games come from assigners, and you rarely work with the same person more than once or twice in a year. The assigner is also free to make substitutions right up until game time, if he has to. I've got games on my February schedule where my partner has already changed multiple times. I had to turn back some games today because I'll be moving house in a couple of weeks (I had no way to predict when we'd move back when the schedule was made). All I had to do was IM the assigner and it's taken care of.

It sounds like you have a different system with different expectations where you are?