The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Last night I had the best looking partner I have ever had. She was a very good official also. Prior to the game she told me she does more girls than boys. I do more boys than girls. I say that because I let more contact go where she tended to call more. As a result we were getting some complaints from the coaches. Should I change how I call the game to match what my partner is calling?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by David M
Last night I had the best looking partner I have ever had. She was a very good official also. Prior to the game she told me she does more girls than boys. I do more boys than girls. I say that because I let more contact go where she tended to call more. As a result we were getting some complaints from the coaches. Should I change how I call the game to match what my partner is calling?
First of all, you should quit looking at your partner and watch the game. Secondly, you should both adjust some. Was it a girls' game or a boys' game? Which ever of you is out of your comfort zone should probably adjust more, but the other one also needs to make concessions.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
First of all, you should quit looking at your partner and watch the game.
Maybe he noticed while they were getting dressed before the game. What? Isn't this still the thread about locker rooms for partners of the opposite gender?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
First of all, you should quit looking at your partner and watch the game. Secondly, you should both adjust some. Was it a girls' game or a boys' game? Which ever of you is out of your comfort zone should probably adjust more, but the other one also needs to make concessions.
Raimaker,

You sound angry. I apologize, if my original post sounded sexist it was not my intention.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
First of all, you should quit looking at your partner and watch the game.
Maybe he noticed while they were getting dressed before the game. What? Isn't this still the thread about locker rooms for partners of the opposite gender?
Chuck,

It was a CYO game where there is no place to change. We both came dressed for the game.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:55pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
David M.,
That's a pretty tough question to answer.

If you are comfortable with and confident in the game you are calling, I advise that you stick with it. If you start tweaking your game to every different partner you have, you may lose your identity, your style, your confidence and your credibility.

There is nothing wrong with modification, but a continual variation from game to game to game may become frustrating to you, the coaches and assignors. That is, no one will know for sure who is going to show up in your shoes or what type of game you are going to be calling.

When we work with "frequent" partner(s), the answer to your question becomes easier, and continuity, consistency and comfort become the norm.
mick
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
It was a CYO game where there is no place to change.
David, no need to explain. I was just trying to add some levity, since Juulie didn't appreciate that part of your post.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

David: This is a tough one. My suggestion would be to discuss it at halftime (i.e. discuss specific situations, etc.). This allows each of you to discuss your philosophy on what you're calling. Ideally, I try and discuss things like how the post play will be officiated, how are we going to officiate handchecking situations, etc in pre-game. My main point is to communicate as much as possible and then adjust if necessary. This is a tough one though. However, don't just change your philosophy and ways of calling the game just for the sake of change. As for the coaches, ignore them.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Also work from a WE point of view when you discuss things. Start with a call YOU made that you don't feel great about and begin from there.

Don't attack your partner, but attempt to get to common ground.

Remember every game is different. Something that you'd pass on one night may disadvantage a player the next, and it's not just a boys and girls thing.

In fact, because it's played more horizontally than vertically, there typically will be more contact in a girls game.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. To quote Popeye "I Yam what I yam.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
David -- sorry I left off the smilie. It was a joke. Mostly. (smilie goes here, too)
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
In fact, because it's played more horizontally than vertically, there typically will be more contact in a girls game.
How good looking was she? Was she sporting BLING? Did she have ribbons on her uniform... oooh those are different threads? Sorry.

I think some small amounts of adjustment are necessary but if the two of you continually switch after every foul both teams are going to get the benefit of each of your styles of game.

Things like 'travels' attract attention. I've had partners before that would call 10 travels to my one. Some compromise was made on my part - I called two.

Discuss your differences and whatever is attracting attention (The calls - not your partner's looks) during half time. Perhaps you can find some middle ground for the 2nd half.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

No one has yet mentioned since she brought up the fact prior to the game that she calls more girls games than boys, that that juncture might have been an opportune time to cover these points as a matter of pre-gaming. I know since we have joined forces (boys and girls assoc.)here on the Eastside of WA this is almost always covered, since we have most of our officials now calling both boys and girls. For the most part things have gone quite smooth considering the big change for each set of officials.

Bottom line, if you can pre-game some of that, it should help smooth out the differences in philosophy. Also, I agree, you can only adjust so far, when you exceed that point, your game begins to suffer.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
No one has yet mentioned since she brought up the fact prior to the game that she calls more girls games than boys, that that juncture might have been an opportune time to cover these points as a matter of pre-gaming. I know since we have joined forces (boys and girls assoc.)here on the Eastside of WA this is almost always covered, since we have most of our officials now calling both boys and girls. For the most part things have gone quite smooth considering the big change for each set of officials.

Bottom line, if you can pre-game some of that, it should help smooth out the differences in philosophy. Also, I agree, you can only adjust so far, when you exceed that point, your game begins to suffer.
davidw -- Good to see you back. How's the recuperation? Working any games?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Things like 'travels' attract attention. I've had partners before that would call 10 travels to my one. Some compromise was made on my part - I called two.
I had a partner like that once. He helped me out by calling all the travels in my area too. Kept everything nice and consistent