The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Does anyone know what happened to the ref that went down in today's Pittsburgh-NYJets game? And did they have a sub ready to go in for him? What's the NFL standard procedure for this?

I know NBA has a sub available for play-off games, do they for regular season games?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Does anyone know what happened to the ref that went down in today's Pittsburgh-NYJets game? And did they have a sub ready to go in for him? What's the NFL standard procedure for this?

I know NBA has a sub available for play-off games, do they for regular season games?
Curious Juulie: Why not try the fb forum?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually the NBA last year did not have a sub for play-off games and a couple of times they finished the game with two refs. They are talking about changing that for this year.

I did not see the game this PM. What happened?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Rainmaker,
The last comment I heard was that they thought he'd hurt his hamstring. As for a replacement, I don't know. I think they have a replacement ready to go, but not sure about that. Anybody else know?
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Juules, the Head Linesman, John McGrath, pulled a hamstring on the TD scoring punt return. Alternate John Schleyer filled in for McGrath.

During the playoffs, the NFL has two alternates at each game. Next weekend, one of the alternates will be a referee. For the Super Bowl, there are three alternates, one of which is an alternate referee.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 15th, 2005 at 11:01 PM]
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:

Curious Juulie: Why not try the fb forum?
I looked there, but no one was discussing it. I wasn't sure how often people looked, but I knew people here were also football refs, so I thought I'd ask here.

Tony, what does it mean to say the alternate is a referee? I don't understand.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Just as you have a referee, U1 and U2 on a basketball floor, football officials have designations as well. The referee is the official in the white hat who stands behind the offense, and gives all the signals. NFL officials work the same specific position during every game. They do not work referee one week and umpire the next week.

During the conference championship games and the Super Bowl, one of the alternates will be an official who always works as a referee.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Just as you have a referee, U1 and U2 on a basketball floor, football officials have designations as well. The referee is the official in the white hat who stands behind the offense, and gives all the signals. NFL officials work the same specific position during every game. They do not work referee one week and umpire the next week.

During the conference championship games and the Super Bowl, one of the alternates will be an official who always works as a referee.
I see. So, if it's the line judge that goes down, and the alternate needs to go in, how does that get juggled?
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

If there's an alternate referee and a second alternate, the second alternate would assume the LJ's position.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If there's an alternate referee and a second alternate, the second alternate would assume the LJ's position.
Thanks!
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Tony:

You mentioned that next week there would be 2 alternates and 1 will be a referee. Regarding this past weekend, what if the guy that went down this was the referee and neither of the alternates was a referee? Who takes over at that point, and does he wear the "white hat"?
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

If one of the alternates is not a referee, it's previously decided who will take over as referee. He may be an alternate or he may be an offiical already on the field. He may or may not wear the white hat.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Happened earlier in the regular season - Johnny Grier went down with an injury and Scott Green (I think?) another guy on his crew took over as referee and actually (I believe) finished the season as the referee on that crew. But he had been in line to become a referee at some point, I believe and I think he had been a referee in NFL Europe, so he was prepared to step in.

NFL guys can adjust. There's usually at least a guy or two on a seven-man crew with experience at more than one position, either coming up or in the NFL before they moved to the position they're at now (there are actually at least a couple referees who've moved to other positions, by mutual agreement after some dodginess).

If somebody goes down, they can make it work. If somebody goes down in the playoffs, they have contingency plans.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had RoboRefs ready to pop out of the ground if three guys went down during the Super Bowl for some reason.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:14pm
In Memoriam

Question

Tony are you a White Hat sometimes?
I think Rut is.
I don't own a hat.
mick
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Yes mick, sometimes.
But I own a black hat with white piping as well.
In fact, I own several.
Need one?
TH