View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 17, 2005, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Happened earlier in the regular season - Johnny Grier went down with an injury and Scott Green (I think?) another guy on his crew took over as referee and actually (I believe) finished the season as the referee on that crew. But he had been in line to become a referee at some point, I believe and I think he had been a referee in NFL Europe, so he was prepared to step in.

NFL guys can adjust. There's usually at least a guy or two on a seven-man crew with experience at more than one position, either coming up or in the NFL before they moved to the position they're at now (there are actually at least a couple referees who've moved to other positions, by mutual agreement after some dodginess).

If somebody goes down, they can make it work. If somebody goes down in the playoffs, they have contingency plans.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had RoboRefs ready to pop out of the ground if three guys went down during the Super Bowl for some reason.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.