Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 06:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Yes mick, sometimes.
But I own a black hat with white piping as well.
In fact, I own several.
Need one?
TH
It looks like I may have to go shopping. ...Either a black hat with white piping or some white shoes.
mick
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If one of the alternates is not a referee, it's previously decided who will take over as referee. He may be an alternate or he may be an offiical already on the field. He may or may not wear the white hat.
TV will want him to wear the white hat -- so the cameras can find him when he announces the penalties.

Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
(there are actually at least a couple referees who've moved to other positions, by mutual agreement after some dodginess).
*cough*PhilLuckett*cough*
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
If one of the alternates is not a referee, it's previously decided who will take over as referee. He may be an alternate or he may be an offiical already on the field. He may or may not wear the white hat.
TV will want him to wear the white hat -- so the cameras can find him when he announces the penalties.

During the Fiesta Bowl, when the R went down, he actually gave his white hat to the alternate.

If I ever get to the point where I'm an alternate official for a big game, I'll spring the extra twelve bucks for my own white hat - just in case.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:22am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
During the Fiesta Bowl, when the R went down, he actually gave his white hat to the alternate.

If I ever get to the point where I'm an alternate official for a big game, I'll spring the extra twelve bucks for my own white hat - just in case.
Mark,
You can bet he had his hats. But a delay to get the hat would have affected the script(s).
mick
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Perhaps but it's still not always done. I saw a college game earlier this year where the officials did not swap hats. I've never seen an NFL referee go down

Also, he may not "announce" the penalties. Exchanging the wirless mic and box is a little more detailed than just swapping hats.
Old Tue Jan 18, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
(there are actually at least a couple referees who've moved to other positions, by mutual agreement after some dodginess).
*cough*PhilLuckett*cough*
Not sure what that comment was suppose to mean but Phil Luckett made the decision to move out of the referee position on his own, after the NFL failed to back him up when Jerome Bettis screwed up the coin toss in Detroit.