The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Had a BV last week in which a very bad call was made by my partner at a very bad time of the game. Towards the end of OT home team was down by 1, they had had about 3 shot attempts in the closing seconds and were unable to convert any of them. The ball gets loose and home player and visitor player go after the ball. With one second left P calls foul on visiting team for a push(double bonus). Home team converts both free throws and is ahead by 1 point.

Visiting team calls time out to set up a play. The coach was already hollering and obviously upset about the call. I was the R, during the timeout he did not even talk to his team he stood out away from them and continued hollering about the call. I was at mid court so I could hear everything. I hated to do it, because I thought the fould was very cheap, but I stuck him. It was in the lane so with both saw it and I passed since it was 1 second left and was not major contact. I felt that even though I thought the call was bad that he could not just sit there and yell at me or my partner for the entre timeout. I was willing to let him vent a little, but enough is enough, move on.

The reason for this thread is that I am going to his school again tonight. I would never belittle or second guess another official publicly. Would any of you address the situation that happened the prior week or just act like it never happened. I do call a good many of his games so he will definitely remember.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Redhouse,
I wouldn't mention it at all. You wouldn't want a coach to bring up a previous game to you, so I wouldn't do it to him. Forget about the last time you were there and work the action tonight.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 03:45pm
Esteemed Participant

I'm certainly not going to bring it up to him...if he brings it up, my response is "Coach, that was last week. Over and done with." Then move away from him...it's not a topic for conversation at any point tonight, and he now knows that.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

That is pretty much what I planned on doing. This is one of the few times that i have really felt bad for a team. Even my partner told me that he blew that call bad. Both teams really hustled and played hard the entire game, and yes I know that you can go back to any point of the game and say that if they made that free throw in the second quarter or wouldn't have traveled in the 3rd we wouldn't be having this discussion. They were ahead with 1 second left and should have won the game. I will still just let it go though. Thanks. I still feel for them though.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Redhouse, by way of a learning experience for all couldn't you have gone to the coach and told him he needs to calm down?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

yes, i could have but I probably would have still ended up given him a T. I don't think we could have gotten him quiet at that point.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to joseph2493
As much as it hurts you have to accept what a partner does (good or bad).

The coach is upset that's granted, but as we have talked about it in many threads, once the coach reaches your line of acceptance you have to give him the T.

As for addressing it tonight, the last thing you want to do is be the lighter of old fires. The coach will probably not mention either, if he does...smile "coach, let's leave it alone please"
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Is that you J.W.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
An assigning secretary told me recently that there is no such thing as a good call or ball, just correct or incorrect!!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

this was a bad call regardless of what your assignment secretary told you. It was also the incorrect call.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Would you have called it a foul in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 07:02pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
Would you have called it a foul in the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd quarter?