The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Well, over the last two years on this forum, I've learned what's unprofessional.

1. Showing up late for a game.
2. Showing up dressed for a game.
3. Wearing belted pants.
4. wearing shoes that aren't shined.
5. wearing shoes that aren't all black.
6. wearing collared shirts.
7. chatting with coaches unnecessarily.

In light of all that, I'm considering doing my next game naked to avoid looking unprofessional.
Well, of those you listed, i don't think two are up for nearly as much variation as the rest.

Numbers 5 and 6 are defined parts of the uniform. The officiating manual says, if I remember correctly, black shoes. It doesn't say black and white shoes or shoes with some black. Black shoe are just that...black shoes. Likewise for the shirt, it specifies V-neck as part of the uniform. (I think they've removed reference to bhe Byron collar). Even if they haven't, most association have specified the type of shirt or at least that both officials should wear the same kind.

Of course arriving for the game late is a valid item that should apply everywhere. But, what is late? Some places expect officials to arrive 60 minutes before, some 45, some 30. So, while being late is certainly a professionalism issue, the definition of late varies.

That leaves 2,3, and 4....all merely opinions where there is no one right or best answer. They all vary by association. My take is that some people need 3 and 4 to distract everyone from the quality of their calls!

For number 2, while I generally agree with it, some people have a need to find a way feel good about themselve and/or use it to put others down.

Lastly, #7 is just not necessary and is widely viewed as something that can only do harm while avoiding it can do no harm. Still, there would be variation on what "unnecessary" chat would be.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

shiny shoes

I don't wear shiny shoes. I think they are...well...ugly. I'm curious though why people do wear shiny shoes. Was it ever in the Official's Manual that your shoes have to be shined? I'm guessing this is something that started way back in the day when refs maybe wore regular shoes to officiate in - not sneakers. I know some associations definitely want you to wear shiny shoes. I'm so glad mine doesn't seem to care. Does anyone know the history on this?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: shiny shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
I don't wear shiny shoes. I think they are...well...ugly. I'm curious though why people do wear shiny shoes. Was it ever in the Official's Manual that your shoes have to be shined? I'm guessing this is something that started way back in the day when refs maybe wore regular shoes to officiate in - not sneakers. I know some associations definitely want you to wear shiny shoes. I'm so glad mine doesn't seem to care. Does anyone know the history on this?
I don't think "shiny" as in patent leather is necessary - just clean & polished. I bought my Reebok's because they have the best fit & arch for my feet. They do kinda make me feel like I should have a floppy hat to go with them though....... They are availble in a non-patent version, but only on special order.....oh well....maybe next year!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: shiny shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Quote:
I don't think "shiny" as in patent leather is necessary - just clean & polished. I bought my Reebok's because they have the best fit & arch for my feet. They do kinda make me feel like I should have a floppy hat to go with them though....... They are availble in a non-patent version, but only on special order.....oh well....maybe next year!
But that's the thing. Polishing sneakers just seems so wrong. I'm wondering how it came to be in the first place and why people think it is important today.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: shiny shoes

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But that's the thing. Polishing sneakers just seems so wrong. I'm wondering how it came to be in the first place and why people think it is important today.
Why do we wear pants when the players wear shorts? Tradition? Baseball umpires used to wear a coat and tie, now they're all in rainbow colored shirts. And the soccer referees, there's some wild gear for you. I don't know that anybody can give a definitive answer on why the uniform for any sport's officials is the way it is. But it is.

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Shiney shoes be matters of style.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's just a matter of the shoes looking clean and not worn. Some have just carried it so far as to look like they've been at boot camp with nothing but those shoes for their dress uniform.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: shiny shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Why do we wear pants when the players wear shorts? Tradition? Baseball umpires used to wear a coat and tie, now they're all in rainbow colored shirts. And the soccer referees, there's some wild gear for you. I don't know that anybody can give a definitive answer on why the uniform for any sport's officials is the way it is. But it is.

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Shiney shoes be matters of style.
You're missing my point. The rules say we should wear black pants. That's why we wear black pants. They say we should wear black shoes. Nothing about shiny black shoes. Who decided they need to be shiny? I know a lot of people think it's important.
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Shiny Shoes

i like to polish my shoes. Reminds me of my time in the United States Army. i use that time to review my last game or review for the upcoming game. It's turning into a form of meditation..
Old Sat Jan 15, 2005, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shiny shoes

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're missing my point. The rules say we should wear black pants. That's why we wear black pants. They say we should wear black shoes. Nothing about shiny black shoes. Who decided they need to be shiny? I know a lot of people think it's important.
"They" did

My point, of course, is that even though it's arbitrary, don't let "rebellion" against the current style hold you back.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 04:00am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Why does the military require hair to be cut short? Why do police officers wear the same colors and style on a police force? Why does working at one job require a suit and tie and another job require no suit and tie. Who cares why, it just it that way. If you want to fit in and be seen as a team player or someone that takes this seriously, you follow the style that is required. It is called a uniform for a reason. We are supposed to look someone a like. It is not all about what we call. We are also representing something as well.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: shiny shoes

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Why does the military require hair to be cut short? Why do police officers wear the same colors and style on a police force? Why does working at one job require a suit and tie and another job require no suit and tie. Who cares why, it just it that way. If you want to fit in and be seen as a team player or someone that takes this seriously, you follow the style that is required. It is called a uniform for a reason. We are supposed to look someone a like. It is not all about what we call. We are also representing something as well.

Peace
Dude, you've got a big chip on your shoulder. I care why - that's why I asked the question. Nothing says our shoes need to be shined where our uniform is defined. I was simply curious if it ever did say they had to be shined. Your pompous attitude makes me respect your answers less and less. I don't really put much weight into what you say at this point. You imply that anyone that doesn't approach this job the same way you do isn't taking it seriously. They don't act professional unless they adhere to your personal code of conduct. What a bunch of crap.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 06:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: shiny shoes

Quote:

Dude, you've got a big chip on your shoulder. I care why - that's why I asked the question.
Chip on my shoulder? For what?

Quote:
Nothing says our shoes need to be shined where our uniform is defined. I was simply curious if it ever did say they had to be shined.
Nothing? Are you sure about that? From day one I was told that my shoes had to be shined. Any camp I have attended. Any association presentation I have seen has talked about shining your shoes as a basketball official. I do not know where you live, but it is constantly said. Does that mean everyone does that? Of course it does not.

Quote:
Your pompous attitude makes me respect your answers less and less. I don't really put much weight into what you say at this point.
Smitty, I really do not care if you like my answers or not. That is your issue, not mine. It seems like you are spending a lot of time wondering asking why all the time and wanting evidence of very common practices. You seem to want everything written down to prove a point. Well if everything needs to be written down for you to decide what to do, you will have a hard time in this world. There are a lot of things that are not spelled out, but you have to follow them. Sorry you seemed to be offended to be told the truth.

Quote:
You imply that anyone that doesn't approach this job the same way you do isn't taking it seriously. They don't act professional unless they adhere to your personal code of conduct. What a bunch of crap.
It sounds like you are projecting your own feelings about your own commitment based on what I am saying. I do not care how seriously you or anyone takes this. That is up to you to decide if wearing the proper uniform or "looking the part" is important to you. If it is not important to you that just mean one less person I have to compete with. And Smitty, you and I are not competing for anything. You are just some guy on an internet site that as far as I know you are not even a good official. So really Smitty, relax. Life is too short to get upset over a person that you do not know or will never meet.

ROTFL

Peace
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

All you just did was validate everything I just said about you.
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 07:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Oh boy!!!

Quote:
All you just did was validate everything I just said about you.
Scared 1

I guess me feelings are supposed to be hurt now? Am I going to have to give back all my assignments? Should I quit officiating because you said things about me now?

Peace
Old Sun Jan 16, 2005, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Grow up and then we can talk. You're just making a fool of yourself now.