The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Worked a girls JV/Varsity double header last night in Illinois. Final score of the JV game was 66-0, home team won. I have never worked a game where a team did not score, not even a 5th or 6th grade game. Only called 3 fouls in the first half as it was also the least physical game I have ever seen. The losing team would actually get out of the way when the opponents would drive to the basket. At least we had the running clock in the 4th quarter. The varsity game didn't start out much better but at least the visitors scored a few minutes into the game. They were down by 29 with a minute to go in the 3rd quarter, but ended up cutting it to 12 by the end of the game against the home teams reserves. Anybody else ever have a shutout in a high school game?
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

that's one of those games where at half time you're reminding game mgmt to get the V teams ready because there's no need for a 45 minute wait to start the second game. "Folks, it's goin-da be-an early night tonight".
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 09:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaMike
Worked a girls JV/Varsity double header last night in Illinois. Final score of the JV game was 66-0, home team won. I have never worked a game where a team did not score, not even a 5th or 6th grade game. Only called 3 fouls in the first half as it was also the least physical game I have ever seen. The losing team would actually get out of the way when the opponents would drive to the basket. At least we had the running clock in the 4th quarter. The varsity game didn't start out much better but at least the visitors scored a few minutes into the game. They were down by 29 with a minute to go in the 3rd quarter, but ended up cutting it to 12 by the end of the game against the home teams reserves. Anybody else ever have a shutout in a high school game?
I've had some scoreless quarters, but never a full game. Ouch.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

I have worked lower level games where I thought a shutout was possible. I know a lot of you will think this is wrong but I have asked the losing coach if he had anyone that can shoot foul shots. I would then look for a foul to call so that that player could get to the line. I just think it is embarassing to the kids if they get shutout.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

That may be considered wrong to some on this board, but I think for the most part officials are compassionate people and would do the same thing. I have definately found fouls to help a team score and even called a T on the winning coach to put someone on the line to score.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IowaMike
Some might object but in the case that you outlined I don't think that there's any harm in trying to get the losing team to the foul line at least to get some points on the board. Slightest touch on the shooter I will send them to the line. I don't think either Coach would mind.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

that will probably get you a "hey thanks, good job", from both coaches.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Believe me, if there had been anything close to a foul on the home team we would have called it. The losing team basically just kept throwing up perimeter shots with no pressure from the opponents and missing badly. They virtually never drove to the hoop or tried to pass it inside. On the rare occasions they did try to get a pass to the post, they would throw it out of bounds. They did get to the line a few times but missed every shot.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Redhouse
... even called a T on the winning coach to put someone on the line to score.
I hope he did something that might have remotely deserved it!

There was a game around here a couple of years ago that was 94-0. If I remember correctly, the losing team didn't even have 5 players, except to start the game.

I had a game once where the ending score was something like 66-5. The winning team was still pressing in the fourth quarter. They also developed a bad case of the travels.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That may be considered wrong to some on this board, but I think for the most part officials are compassionate people and would do the same thing. I have definately found fouls to help a team score and even called a T on the winning coach to put someone on the line to score.
So I guess it's wrong of me to silently cheer for the shut-out once we get to the second half?

I've got 2 goals in officiating, work the Final 4 and work a shutout.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:
So I guess it's wrong of me to silently cheer for the shut-out once we get to the second half?

I hope this is tongue in cheek.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

There was a game around here a couple of years ago that was 94-0. If I remember correctly, the losing team didn't even have 5 players, except to start the game.

I had a game once where the ending score was something like 66-5. The winning team was still pressing in the fourth quarter. They also developed a bad case of the travels.
When games get out of hand and the winning team is still pressing it's funny but suddenly more fouls are called on the winning team when they press and they suddenly disappear when they stop. Don't know why that is.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:

I hope this is tongue in cheek.
You saying I've got no shot at the Final 4? Thanks!!!!

"Everything I say is tongue and cheek."

-Luther Palmer
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

When games get out of hand and the winning team is still pressing it's funny but suddenly more fouls are called on the winning team when they press and they suddenly disappear when they stop. Don't know why that is.
It's easy to explain -- even coaches get it although they don't always like it. It's simple advantage/disadvantage. "Coach, when your team is so much better than the other team, any contact at all gives you a tremendous advantage. So if it's illegal contact, I've got to call it. On the other hand, when the other team contacts you, they get no advantage at all. It's gotta be a real hack or slam before I call it." That's the way it is in a mis-match.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2005, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Not a shutout, but......

There is a note up on I believe Fox Sports about a high school game in Vermont that ended up with a score of 5-2.

Interesting read. No points by either team in the second half. Of course, no shot clock either, but I bet the ref's on that game will have a few stories to tell.

My personal best is a high school varsity game that went 36-0 before the visiting team scored. We went more than 8 minutes into the first half without the visitors scoring. After that, the score remained 30 points apart.

goose