Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
I thought so as well, however, the case book 7.5.4 differs. An official sounds his/her whistle accidentally:

a) while A1 is dribbling and in player control
b) while Team A is in control and passing among teammates
c) while A1's try attempt is in flight and there is neither player nor team control
d) after A1's try had gone through the cylinder for a successful field goal

RULING: The ball is put in play in (a) and (b), by team A with a throw-in at the nearest out-of-bounds spot to where the ball was when the whistle was accidentlly sounded.

In (c) the ball is put in play by the team entitled to the throw-in using the AP procedure.

In (d), even though by rule, there is no team control during this dead ball period, the ball would be gived to Team B for a throw-in anywhere along the end line. Team B would have clearly received the ball had the official not accidentally sounded the whistle.

Hope this helps!
The case play doesn't differ. In Play (c), there's simply a shot. The play does not say the shot goes in. Therefore, it's just a shot and the AP rule applies.

If the shot is in the air and goes in, play resumes with Team B getting the ball, just as it does in Play (d).
That's twice and 2 days you've agreed with me.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
If the shot is in the air and goes in, play resumes with Team B getting the ball, just as it does in Play (d).
For NCAA, I agree. But for FED, why?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

BktBallRef said that
"The case play doesn't differ. In Play (c), there's simply a shot. The play does not say the shot goes in. Therefore, it's just a shot and the AP rule applies. If the shot is in the air and goes in, play resumes with Team B getting the ball, just as it does in Play (d)."

In other words, the interpretation on (c) is that the whistle does NOT cause the ball to become dead. Score the goal and play on with a throw-in anywhere along the baseline by Team B. I was under the impression that the whistle killed the play. It would make sense, however, the case book doesn't specify anything about a goal being scored. Perhaps the wording in (d) should read "while the shot was in the air or after A1's try had gone through the cylinder for a successful field goal.

Are we interpreting this correctly?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BktBallRef said that
"The case play doesn't differ. In Play (c), there's simply a shot. The play does not say the shot goes in. Therefore, it's just a shot and the AP rule applies. If the shot is in the air and goes in, play resumes with Team B getting the ball, just as it does in Play (d)."

In other words, the interpretation on (c) is that the whistle does NOT cause the ball to become dead. Score the goal and play on with a throw-in anywhere along the baseline by Team B. I was under the impression that the whistle killed the play. It would make sense, however, the case book doesn't specify anything about a goal being scored. Perhaps the wording in (d) should read "while the shot was in the air or after A1's try had gone through the cylinder for a successful field goal.

Sounds like we need a case play to clarify this case play.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BktBallRef said that

6-7-5 exception The ball does not become dead on an official's whistle UNTIL THE TRY ENDS.

So a whistle during C will result in D, per this exception.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
6-7-5 exception The ball does not become dead on an official's whistle UNTIL THE TRY ENDS.
I know that. But technically, there's no team control when the try ends, even if it goes in. That's the whole point. There's no team control at the "point of interruption", for lack of a better term. So how do we justify not going to the arrow? We have an inadvertant whistle with no team control. I don't know of any exception in the FED book that says "give it to the team that would have gotten control if the whistle hadn't blown". Is there such an exception?
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
I know that. But technically, there's no team control when the try ends, even if it goes in. That's the whole point. There's no team control at the "point of interruption", for lack of a better term. So how do we justify not going to the arrow? We have an inadvertant whistle with no team control. I don't know of any exception in the FED book that says "give it to the team that would have gotten control if the whistle hadn't blown". Is there such an exception?
It's called common sense.

If we have an inadvertant whistle, after the release 6-7-5-E allows for the shot to count, would that not LOGICALLY move the c) during a try, to d) after a made goal?

If not one team, depending on the arrow, is losing the ball they should be getting like after any other made basket.

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, it's a little inconsistent with the general rule that you go to the arrow on an inadvertant whistle with no team control. But the reason you go to the arrow is that normally you have no other fair way to determine who should have the ball. In the case of the made basket, it is clear who should have the ball. The ball always goes to the other team after a made or awarded basket. There is no exception to that rule (not counting things like false multiple fouls and Ts on free throws) Why introduce an exception when one isn't needed, especially for something like fixing an inadvertant whistle?

Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Makes sense to me!
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck

Quote:
Quote:
Chuck, I'm not understanding your point.

Shot attempt. Inadvertant whistle during ball flight. Ball goes through hoop.

I'm thinking if the shot is made and it was counted, the possession must go to the non-shooting team.

If the shot is not made. Then players may well have stopped because of the inadvertant whistle and we therefore don't know who would have gotten the rebound. Now we go to the AP arrow to basically award the rebound.

What is it about this that you feel is wrong?