The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Yeah Baby

Worked with a female partner a couple years back...

The coach knew what was going on but at the end of the game as we're heading into our dressing room I hear some of players giggling (varsity girls) and then I hear the coach say something about "They're probably going to go in and shower together too!"

We didn't. But the girls thought my wife was quite the tramp for changing in the same room with me.

I've worked with my wife a few more times since then... changing hasn't really been that big of a deal. Ooops, did I say that?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
(no smilie ... you decide if I'm joking or serious. Remember that if you have any emotions or feelings about what I wrote, it's your own fault!)
Juulie,

It could have been MUCH worse, at least he did not tie a comment in with his username.

He's going out of his way to be offensive ever since JR and I busted him because of his use of a VERY offensive image a while back.
Okay, so you took it that I wasn't joking. Any other votes?
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
(no smilie ... you decide if I'm joking or serious. Remember that if you have any emotions or feelings about what I wrote, it's your own fault!)
Juulie,

It could have been MUCH worse, at least he did not tie a comment in with his username.

He's going out of his way to be offensive ever since JR and I busted him because of his use of a VERY offensive image a while back.
Okay, so you took it that I wasn't joking. Any other votes?
Actually, I did not put any thought into why you posted it. I just thought someone who was on record for his freedom of speech crusade, missed a golden opportunity with that username.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, I did not put any thought into why you posted it. I just thought someone who was on record for his freedom of speech crusade, missed a golden opportunity with that username.
I guess I missed the earlier exchange, or else I'm misunderstanding your reference. Cool. I'll step aside, here, and let you and he duke it out.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

No dukin' goin' on

But having BushRef make comments during a discussion about males and females dressing in the same room makes some of wonder the reasoning for his moniker???

I believe the beer has a "c" in it. Perhaps he started by working in a Bush League?? Perhaps he always officiates with a female partner!

Juulie you're a little slow on this today.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: No dukin' goin' on

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
But having BushRef make comments during a discussion about males and females dressing in the same room makes some of wonder the reasoning for his moniker???

I believe the beer has a "c" in it. Perhaps he started by working in a Bush League?? Perhaps he always officiates with a female partner!

Juulie you're a little slow on this today.
No, just rising above it. Trying to feel sorry for him...
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Usually, whomever is in charge is caught off guard to see a woman official walk in. You won't believe the faces I get when I ask the coach where the officials get changed. But I usually get there earlier than my partner anyway. If that's not the case, then we take turns and the pregame in there too.

But there's always the couple guys who try the old "Shall WE get changed" bit. But I guess keeping the men in line is a part of my job! Hooligans
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kristal_15
But there's always the couple guys who try the old "Shall WE get changed" bit.
"Sure, you first!"
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps you should write one of your informative articles on officiating.com about sexism in officiating.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

I officiate primarily boys basketball, and changing is not a huge deal. I'm a big believer in arriving early for the games, so oftentimes I beat my partner(s) there, and I'm already changed before they arrive. If not, we just just take turns putting on the basics, and finish dressing (striped shirt, shoes, etc.) together. I have one partner that I work with a lot, and he's not even fazed by this anymore. But it seems awkward for guys I haven't worked with before.

Sara
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:
Quote:
Here's how the other half feels...

BushRef -- Let's see... how can I say this without sounding PC... I want the message to get through and not push buttons... Okay, ,let's try this... if seeing more than my back while I'm dressing is something that sounds fun to you, you've got way too many mental problems to be working a varsity game. I'll be calling our assignor as soon as the game's over to report your brain damage immediately. (no smilie ... you decide if I'm joking or serious. Remember that if you have any emotions or feelings about what I wrote, it's your own fault!)

Around here, we mostly either change separately and then pre-game after, or one comes dressed. It doesn't seem to me that it would be that difficult for a school to have a small set of cubicles that would be separated by dividers so we could talk and change at the same time. Sometimes, there's a bathroom where one can do the private things, and the other use the outer room, then we can pre-game during the socks, shoes, contacts and hair. Lots of times, it's just plain awkward.

For me the biggest issue is having access to my possessions at half-time. If we've dressed separately, (and in girls' games that ususally means I'm in one of the teams' locker rooms) we probably can't both have access to our stuff. I want my make-up bag, comb, towel and rule books. And then, I want to leave my jacket there with my other stuff so I don't have four stops to make when the game is over.

Usually, if we talk on the phone ahead, and then someone gets there in time to pin down the AD and make arrangements, it works out fine. For most guys, it's not an issue. So it's usually me that does the work. Which is mostly fine. If I get it my way, it's worth the work!
Juulie,

You mean this one?

I tried to find it without the offensive tag at the bottom for you this time. Maybe you won't be as offended this time.
You'd be wrong, and unlike last time the image is saved and being sent to all the mods, so you won't be able to just delete it like last time.
Old Wed Jan 12, 2005, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I'm not the one that deleted it last time.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is the part where I'm supposed to remind everyone that I have a retarded niece, so this isn't really an insensitive post on my part.
Seems to run in the family bushie boy.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
WL:

Dittos!! Congrats on your award!!!!
tjones1....

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

Where did you get all the neat "emoticons"?

I'd luv to use the "banana blocking move" but would probably need to take more Glucosamine Chondroitin

later...

wl
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 12:32am
M.A.S.H.

Yeah I enjoy using them. Maybe one day whenever I'm big enough to become a Mod (however that works) I'll add more emotions and stuff.
Old Thu Jan 13, 2005, 07:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
You mean this one?

I tried to find it without the offensive tag at the bottom for you this time. Maybe you won't be as offended this time. [/B][/QUOTE]Nope, I'm not really offended any more, Bush. I'm really not surprised, either, that you would post it again. I must admit that I am just a little amazed that any person could really be so publically ignorant, but "ignorant" seems to be your middle name.

BushIgnorantRef! Perfect!