Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I'm with Dudly, as soon as they start looking for input from a referee in the stands I claim temporary blindness and make myself scarce.
Temporary? [/B]
I'm sorry, did you say something? [/B][/QUOTE]Temporary deafness too?

Got any other body parts failing?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm with Dudly, as soon as they start looking for input from a referee in the stands I claim temporary blindness and make myself scarce.
Temporary?
I'm sorry, did you say something? [/B]
Temporary deafness too?

Got any other body parts failing? [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah geeze, thanks for your concern.

You're just an old softy, aint ya?

Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Temporary?
I'm sorry, did you say something?
Temporary deafness too?

Got any other body parts failing? [/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]No need to get vicious about it. Lah me! You really know how to hurt a guy, don't ya?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Temporary?
I'm sorry, did you say something?
Temporary deafness too?

Got any other body parts failing?

[/B]
No need to get vicious about it. Lah me! You really know how to hurt a guy, don't ya? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm just playing with ya

Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
I'm just playing with ya

[/B][/QUOTE]So I noticed:

Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Role models are simply people who youngsters emulate, whether their behavior is good or bad. Young basketball players emulate NBA players, whether Charles likes it or not. That makes them role models.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS

As for the role model issue. The role model in a kids life should be his/her parents and maybe their pastor/rabbi/priest. If you feel the need to have your kids look at others for examples why not have them look to a young man or woman who has agreed to risk EVERYTHING, including their life, in order to protect and preserve their way of life.

(snip)

We don't look to people like Van Cliburn, Jay Leno, Tom Cruise, etc. to be role models for our kids. They have also been blessed with a gift to entertain. So why look to a 19 year old kid the can play basketball/football/baseball?

I'll get off my soap box now...sorry
This is all fine, dandy, true, and yet not really the point. You're right, kids should be able to look up to there parents. The problem is, many can't; and many can but don't. We can deny or ignore this all we want by saying kids should look up to and emulate their pastors and teachers and coaches; and many kids do (for good and ill). However, the fact remains that many kids do emulate professional athletes. The fact remains that a lion's share of the professional athletes' salaries derive from that adulation and adoration. The fact remains that Allen Iverson is payed millions of dollars to play basketball because kids look up to him. The same can be said of every single NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB player out there.
At the very least, their behavior on the court will be emulated by kids who want to play like the stars.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 01:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
At the very least, their behavior on the court will be emulated by kids who want to play like the stars.
Not if the parents, coaches and school administration do not stand for that kind of behavior.

There was a teacher of mine when I was in HS that was a coach at another school when I started officiating. He was the head basketball coach and AD at a school not far from my home town. Well one Christmas vacation there was a star player on the team that family took a Christmas vacation while this team had games at a Christmas tournament. The parents did not inform the coach of the vacation and when this kid came back this coach benched this player. The parents were upset so they filed a complaint with the school board. The school board required this coach to apologize for benching this player for what was essentially violating team rules. Instead of apologizing for his actions, the resigned at the end of the season.

There is something wrong when authority is not respected with kids today. It has little or nothing to do with what they see on TV. It has more to do with what the parents will allow in their house.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: Where are the adults.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I was more afraid of my parents than anything. When I was a kid and I would do things on the court of field that was suspect, it might have been my Mom that took me out of practice or off a game.
Good for Mom on this one but I can guarantee that if your Mom was taking you out of practices or games as a form of discipline, you wouldn't have played for any of my coaches no matter how good you are, they didn't have time to deal with that. I agree, if you act up, discipline starts at home, I just don't see a HS/AAU/Select Team/(College lololololol) coach accepting this. Also, try explaining to your buddies that "Moms ain't letting me play because I acted a fool".
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Not if the parents, coaches and school administration do not stand for that kind of behavior.

There was a teacher of mine when I was in HS that was a coach at another school when I started officiating. He was the head basketball coach and AD at a school not far from my home town. Well one Christmas vacation there was a star player on the team that family took a Christmas vacation while this team had games at a Christmas tournament. The parents did not inform the coach of the vacation and when this kid came back this coach benched this player. The parents were upset so they filed a complaint with the school board. The school board required this coach to apologize for benching this player for what was essentially violating team rules. Instead of apologizing for his actions, the resigned at the end of the season.

There is something wrong when authority is not respected with kids today. It has little or nothing to do with what they see on TV. It has more to do with what the parents will allow in their house.

Peace
I'd bet it was hard for him to even finish the season. It's hard to do anything in life when you know that you won't get backed up for making the "right" choice or expecting people to have standards. Heck I respect him for doint the right thing and finishing what he started.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Where are the adults.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Good for Mom on this one but I can guarantee that if your Mom was taking you out of practices or games as a form of discipline, you wouldn't have played for any of my coaches no matter how good you are, they didn't have time to deal with that. I agree, if you act up, discipline starts at home, I just don't see a HS/AAU/Select Team/(College lololololol) coach accepting this. Also, try explaining to your buddies that "Moms ain't letting me play because I acted a fool".
Well not all players have the talent of a Randy Moss or Lebron James coming out of high school. Even players that did nothing but excel at the major colleges do not get picked up by the pros. And a lot of that talent is based on what kind of character you have. There are a lot of Junior Colleges or D3 schools filled with very talented players that lost their shot at the big time because they showed little character when they had an opportunity. It starts with your parents and your upbringing.

Peace