The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

soiled

btw, do you normally have a problem soiling yourself. I don't think that I have ever soiled myself by just driving somewhere. Oh, wait a minute, there was that one time, but alcohol was involved and I wasn't going to a game so I guess that one doesn't count.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

It's really a relative thing around here. If I know I'm going to a gym where I know for certain there will be a locked private room to change in, which includes all of the high schools, I will change at the school. But if it's a middle school or a place I have not been to yet, I might change into my ref pants at work and change my shirt when I get there. Better safe than sorry.

And who really sees me enter the school anyway? Maybe a handful of parents. The teams are usually already in the locker room or in the gym warming up. When I enter the gym, they have no idea if I've come from my car or from a changing room. My professionalism has nothing to do with where I've decided to change my clothes.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I think it all depends on what level of ball I'm doing. If I'm working a middle school game, or at a site where i know a dressing room isn't available, I'll go dressed since I hate dressing in a public restroom. I think that looks even less professional than coming dressed.

This is one of those things that's going to vary by region, IMO. Let's not have such blanket assessments.
Obviously this is based on where you live. Any comment that someone said here is based on where they live or where they have once lived as an official.

There is no place I am going to work and I am going to not get dressed at that school or site. Not during the regular season. Middle schools have a locker room or coach's office to put us in. I have too much stuff that I cannot carry all of it in my pocket or in my jacket. If that is allowed in your state, then you need to make some provisions to change those policies in your state. Officials need a private room to have a pregame, to go over issues with each other and go over things at halftime and after the game.

I am sorry but every single level puts in their publications that officials need a room or to get dressed have maintain some privacy. I do not expect that kind of situation at a Men's League or a Rec. League. I do expect that at any school sponsored event and anything less is just unacceptable. But this is my opinion

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Coming to games is very unprofessional. It sends the wrong message to the players, coaches and fans. It looks like you just came from another game or you have to go to another game when you leave.
What if I did just come from another game or I do have to go to another game when I leave?

I always try to show up and change at the gym, but it's not possible 100% of the time. I see lots of guys at lower levels show up dressed already.
If you do that here, you will not be working very long. Take my word on this. This is not just my opinion. Every assignor (at the HS level) has a policy written and unwritten that this is unacceptable. I can count on one hand the amount of times a varsity official even did this (I have never seen a playoff official to this btw). The main place that I saw this take place and it was common was in the Chicago Public League. Well this year the CPS made it clear that this was unacceptable at any of their games and would drop officials if they did this. I know if I saw an official do this, all I would have to do is make a phone call and that official might not be working very much in the future unless they change their actions. You can do what you want, but trust me where you and I live this is not acceptable. It was in my presentation and not one assignor that saw my presentation batted an eye when I talked about how unprofessional this action was. This was also one of the main questions I was asked at IACAO after my presentation. It is unacceptable. Of course people do it, but they are not moving up doing it.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If you do that here, you will not be working very long. Take my word on this. This is not just my opinion. Every assignor (at the HS level) has a policy written and unwritten that this is unacceptable.
Well you and I both know who my main assignor is, and in 100% of the games I've worked this season, my partner has shown up dressed. In 100% of the games I have worked this season, I have changed at the gym. If I was a varsity guy, there'd be no question. I make it a point to do it even if others don't (in basketball and in football) because I try to be a cut above what which some some others may feel is enough to get by (this is a whole 'nother conversation, though - the professionalism with which people approach this, regardless of level).

It's not judging them - you can't judge others or talk about others or control what anyone else in the avocation does. All you can control is your own preparation and your own professionalism and if you do that, the rest takes care of itself.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Years ago, I went to a ref camp and a guy was there from Big Sky Country. He told me he had to drive 150 miles-each way- to his games. I never asked him if he got mileage- let alone dressed!
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Besides all the reasons JRut gives...
I always though it was just kind of geeky. Like driving to a baseball field with all your plate gear on (like your mother dressed you for the game).
All of the baseball and softball umpires here go to games with their uniform on. The PU puts his plate gear on in the parking lot.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by nine01c
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
All of the baseball and softball umpires here go to games with their uniform on. The PU puts his plate gear on in the parking lot.
That's what we do too. I was referring to the plate gear part (not the uniform). Oh never mind. Just like everything else, people are going to do what they feel like doing regardless of opinions here (but it's still geeky).
Just making a statement, something you brought to mind when you mentioned baseball.

Also, our umpires are usually either coming from one game or going to another. They have to go dressed. Opersonally, I don't see why that's an issue, in baseball or basketball.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Well you and I both know who my main assignor is, and in 100% of the games I've worked this season, my partner has shown up dressed. In 100% of the games I have worked this season, I have changed at the gym. If I was a varsity guy, there'd be no question. I make it a point to do it even if others don't (in basketball and in football) because I try to be a cut above what which some some others may feel is enough to get by (this is a whole 'nother conversation, though - the professionalism with which people approach this, regardless of level).
Actually I do not know who you are working for. I might assume but I really do not know for sure.

Quote:
It's not judging them - you can't judge others or talk about others or control what anyone else in the avocation does. All you can control is your own preparation and your own professionalism and if you do that, the rest takes care of itself.
I have heard in just this past off season three very powerful assignors make this statement on their own in meetings or presentations. One made it very clear, "You will not work for me if you do that." Not only did they make those types of comments, they also talked about other assignors the felt the same way. You also might remember there is a reason many of the officials you are working with are at that level. You are new, but many working those levels are not new at all. This is not really my main issue. But it is the issue with most of the people, if not all of the assignors I work with and many officials in this state that are well respected. I am just one person. I cannot prevent you from working an entire schedule. All I can do is decide if you are going to work one or two games a year when I need a partner. Assignors can tell other assignors about an official and pass the word around. If they think it is unprofessional and should not be done, I am not the person to take it up with. Now you might be able to work a freshman game showing up dressed or even a Saturday morning JV game. If you do that at a prelim game or varsity date, the spotlight is a lot brighter and hotter. All I am saying is it is not an acceptable practice.

Cool

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Besides all the reasons JRut gives...
I always though it was just kind of geeky. Like driving to a baseball field with all your plate gear on (like your mother dressed you for the game).
I don't. I change in the parking lot. I usually go out for dinner or a few pops after the game and I'm not doing that in uniform.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do the same thing Rich. Or I always come maybe with just my grey pants on. But I never wear my blue shirt and shoes already on. I dress out the back of my truck and hope no one is paying attention.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 04:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to irp
We have no choice, for local games we say, 'get changed at the venue but turn up in whatever you like'. For national games in England we have to turn up in a shirt and tie and get changed at the evnue.

In some cases this means getting changed prior to the team who is also using that locker room and getting showered whilst they wait for us to finish.......
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

I agree with redhouse and overandback, how is it unprofessional to go to the game already dressed. I work mainly 3, 4, & 5A games on varsity level and go to the games already dressed, and I dont consider myself unprofessional at all. I dont have to drive more than 1 hour any way, and I will take me a good shower when I get home in a shower that I know is clean and does not contain any fungus (ie. athletes foot), and throw my uniform in the dirty clothes hamper to be washed or put them in the wash if they are "soiled", or wet.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

a truck

coming to a game dressed is unprofessional, but changing out of the back of a truck hoping that nobody will see you changing is professional. Humm, I am not quite understanding that one. I guess it is all based on where you call. In our association almost everyone goes to the games in uniform. Our assignor has never mentioned that we should be changing on site.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:06am
Do not give a damn!!

How is it not unprofessional?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotlink501

I agree with redhouse and overandback, how is it unprofessional to go to the game already dressed.
The bottom line this is all based on opinion. If you work here this might get you kicked out of conferences if you do this at the varsity level. It is just like opinions on facial hair or other issues with appearance. If my regular job requires certain attire on the job, I adhere to the dress code. This is the same thing. Officiating just like any other job has "little things" that can help or hurt success. If you feel that this is not a big deal that is your choice. But understand there are people around that more than likely do not share your point of view.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hotlink501
I work mainly 3, 4, & 5A games on varsity level and go to the games already dressed, and I dont consider myself unprofessional at all. I dont have to drive more than 1 hour any way, and I will take me a good shower when I get home in a shower that I know is clean and does not contain any fungus (ie. athletes foot), and throw my uniform in the dirty clothes hamper to be washed or put them in the wash if they are "soiled", or wet.

This is more about the culture you officiate in. I consider it unprofessional and so do the people I work for. In the notes assignors send with contracts that state the expectations of the official and this is a commonly listed item as well as when we are expected to show up to the game.

Just a side note. The ground right now is covered with snow and it is raining. I cannot imagine going to a game today while trying to dodge snow and slush. Then sit in a car for an hour in that uniform. Then get out of my car again and hope I do not get things all over my uniform dodging the snow that was not shuffled out of the parking lot. Then go into the game with a clean uniform and clean shoes. Maybe that works in Southern California where it never rains (which is not true, ask the NFL). But in the Midwest that weather is so volatile and you might have to walk through a foot of snow realistically, I would not want to have snow and moisture all over my uniform and leave everyone with a horrible impression of how clean I keep my uniform.

Peace