The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

National Federation Rules.
Visiting player B1 is on the free throw line with less than a minute to play down four (4) points with two (2) shots due to personal foul by A1.
With the ball clearly still in the hand of the shooter (B1) who is in his shooting motion, the horn is sounded by the table! B1 continues with his shooting motion and the ball goes in the basket.
[The table informs us that the foul on A1 was his fifth foul]
Now what is the proper procedure. I need a rule or case book referance for this instance.
FYI, we allowed the free throw to count, got the sub in for the disqualified A1 and then went on to shoot the second foul shot and then went on with the game. This seemed logical to us but we are pretty sure that there is a specific way to handle this unusual situation.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 07:59am
In Memoriam

You got it right.

Case book play2.11.3-- "If the scorer signals while the ball is live, the official should ignore the signal if a scoring play is in progress".
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for your help. That is exactly what I was looking for.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

6-7 is also a good starting point - you'll notice that "the horn blowing in the middle of the game" does not cause the ball to become dead.

Also, don't forget rule 11-1 - beware the actions of the home scorer's table.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

If he had missed the free throw, would you give him another because the horn may have "disconcerted" him?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I would have handled it the same way. An intersting thought though, what if B1 missed the shot. I think I might be inclined to award another shot. The home team's table caused the adverse action (if it is determined to be).

In other live ball situations the horn (by rule as previously stated) is ignored.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
If he had missed the free throw, would you give him another because the horn may have "disconcerted" him?
In my opinion, if it is the visiting team shooting, if he misses, he gets another try, if he makes it count. If it is the home team, no retry no matter what.

I think a FT, when all other action has stopped and one player is alone focusing on the shot, usually without alot of other noise, the "play on when the horn goes off" is overtaken by common sense. I don't think the horn would be as much of a distraction if he is dribbling or even shooting a jumper in the midst of the game.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Nahhh

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
In my opinion, if it is the visiting team shooting, if he misses, he gets another try, if he makes it count. If it is the home team, no retry no matter what.

I think a FT, when all other action has stopped and one player is alone focusing on the shot, usually without alot of other noise, the "play on when the horn goes off" is overtaken by common sense. I don't think the horn would be as much of a distraction if he is dribbling or even shooting a jumper in the midst of the game.
You're responding as if the table is intentionally trying to disconcert the shooter... often they are just nitwits. (That is why the horn does immediately create a dead ball.)

If you were relatively certain that the person running the horn is trying to disconcert, I would likely assess a technical foul... and then probably (HTBT timing) reshoot a missed free throw.

Gotta treat both teams the same in the case of nitwits.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
[/B]
You're responding as if the table is intentionally trying to disconcert the shooter... often they are just nitwits. (That is why the horn does immediately create a dead ball.)

[/B][/QUOTE]Might wanna review that one, Tony. The horn never automatically creates a dead ball, even at the end of a quarter. If a shot is in the air when the horn goes to end a period, the ball is still live. You knew that. The only thing that immediately creates a dead ball is an official's whistle.

From the case book play that I cited above-CB2.11.3--"If the scorer signals while the ball is live, the official should ignore the signal. Otherwise,the official may stop play to determine the reason for the score's signal".
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[/B]
Might wanna review that one, Tony. The horn never automatically creates a dead ball, [/B][/QUOTE]
I think Tony just had a little typo there, JR. I think he's saying that the table personnel are often nitwits, which is why we don't trust them to automatically create a dead ball.

I just think he forgot the "not" in between "does" and "immediately".

Kind of like that old old version of the Bible in which the printer inadvertantly left the word "not" out of the seventh commandment. That edition was a very big seller.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 10:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Re: Nahhh

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:

If you were relatively certain that the person running the horn is trying to disconcert, I would likely assess a technical foul... and then probably (HTBT timing) reshoot a missed free throw.

Gotta treat both teams the same in the case of nitwits.
If I issue a T here, I'm also replacing the twit on the horn.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A few years ago I had a sub-varsity game where the home team clearly had the visitors out manned. The visitors, however were showing their heart and were up by 8 early in the 4th qtr, and at the line. The home coach had a hard time excepting the fact that one of his starters had just fouled out. He asked me how much time he had to get a sub, and I said 30 sec.

He sent the sub to the table, I beckoned him in and went to administor the free throw (not knowing that coach A had told the sub to wait until the 30 seconds were up to enter the floor). In the middle of the shooting motion the timer (home administrator) blew the horn and the free throw is an air ball.

I went to the table to see what the problem was. The timer told me that the 30 seconds was up. Seeing that the sub was still sitting at the table, I said thank you for the info, "T"d coach A1 for delay of game, and re-shot the free throw for the disconcerting act of the timer.

Needless to say, I was very popular with the home crowd!

Blackhawk

Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Kind of like that old old version of the Bible in which the printer inadvertantly left the word "not" out of the seventh commandment. That edition was a very big seller.
Amazon.com had Little Rock, Arkansas listed as a city where this book was most popular.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I went to the table to see what the problem was. The timer told me that the 30 seconds was up. Seeing that the sub was still sitting at the table, I said thank you for the info, "T"d coach A1 for delay of game, and re-shot the free throw for the disconcerting act of the timer.

Why the T? The coach met the requirement.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2005, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Could you T the player for being oob after he was beckoned onto the floor? Or i guess you could just bring the sub in and let the Free thrower shoot one more.