The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Billy Packer once again showed just how clueless he is about the rules of the game.

Kansas is pushing up the ball and the player dribbling picks up his dribble with his right foot in the front court and his left foot on the division line and passes it to his teammate in the back court. Packer is screaming for the violation saying Kentucky should have the ball.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 08:42pm
In Memoriam

Maybe I saw it wrong(twice- because the replay looked the same to me), but it sure looked like the Kansas player had both feet in the frontcourt when he picked up the ball and passed it back to to a teammate that jumped from the backcourt. I thought it shoulda been a violation as soon as the airborne player touched the ball, because he jumped from the backcourt.

Have to see that one on SportsDesk again, I guess.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have DVR and I replayed it several times. The KU player had his right foot about foot and a half into the front court and was dribbling in the back court. His left foot was on the division line when he gathered the dribble and passed it to his teammate.

It was close, but his foot was still on the line. Ted Valentine was too far back as trail to see anything, but it looked the the center was looking right at it.

The funny thing was we did not hear a word from Packer when Teddy called the travel on Moody when his pivot foot NEVER moved, when he lost his balance gathering his dribble and twisted his ankle.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 09:19pm
In Memoriam

As I said, I thought he had both feet in the front court. Been wrong before too.

On that travelling call, I didn't think that the pivot foot moved, but it looked like there might also have been some contact that knocked the kid off balance. You know what Valentine's biggest problem on that call was, imo? I thought that he got caught too close to the play. He had a terrible view of the pivot foot because the play came right at him, and he was right on top of it-just a coupla feet away.
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

TV Teddy had a pretty good weekend.

Maryland at North Carolina on Saturday and Kansas at Kentucky today.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
At what point in the game did this travel call occur? I record tons of games to review, specifically siutuations that appear here in the forum. If someone can give me when in the game it occurred, that would be great.

THanks.
Around 2 minutes left in the second half.

Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Teddy V. called a foul on Sparks when he stripped a Kansas player. They showed the replay in the arena and we heard the crowd reaction. At least, I don't have to deal with that at my games in rackety old gyms and 25 parents.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 06:53am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
Teddy V. called a foul on Sparks when he stripped a Kansas player. They showed the replay in the arena and we heard the crowd reaction. At least, I don't have to deal with that at my games in rackety old gyms and 25 parents.
Are you criticizing this call? If you are there are a lot more calls in this game that can be "analyzed."
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Are you criticizing this call? If you are there are a lot more calls in this game that can be "analyzed."
Chill gun. He would simply pointing out the scrutiny that these guys face when there's a jumbotron in the arena.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
I have DVR and I replayed it several times. The KU player had his right foot about foot and a half into the front court and was dribbling in the back court. His left foot was on the division line when he gathered the dribble and passed it to his teammate.

It was close, but his foot was still on the line. Ted Valentine was too far back as trail to see anything, but it looked the the center was looking right at it.

The T (apparently Valentine) pointed at the division line as the pass was made. I certainly took that to mean that he judged the player was not in the FC and the pass was legal.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 09:54am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Quote:
Chill gun. He would simply pointing out the scrutiny that these guys face when there's a jumbotron in the arena.
I'm cool. I just noticed several things with this crew myself and I think some other things should be mentioned also. That is a prime example of not being able to get your tone across through typed words. It looks worse than I meant it.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

whats the ncaa rule on traveling, while being doubled teamed (no dribble) with under a minute left, Miles fell to the floor then passed the ball to his teamate for a three. why wasn't there a travel call. how about all the held ball calls, i thought it was a physical defensive game.
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:34am
Do not give a damn!!

The NCAA rule is basically the same as the NF rule. I did not see the play so I cannot comment on why something was not called. Maybe the officials felt he got rid of the ball before the player hit the floor? Maybe when he hit the floor the ball handler was not in control of the ball. I really do not know.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

im a ku fan and watched the replay on the local news and it sure looked like a duck from the replay. just wondering what blindzebra saw who taped the game?
Old Mon Jan 10, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
whats the ncaa rule on traveling, while being doubled teamed (no dribble) with under a minute left, Miles fell to the floor then passed the ball to his teamate for a three. why wasn't there a travel call.
I didn't think Miles got full control of the ball until he was already on the floor. I didn't tape it, have TIVO, or see it again...but that's what I saw.