The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday, I had one of "those " coaches who was yelliing about 3 seconds call. He started with the coaches mantra, "3 seconds, 3 seconds", and then progressed to the more direct, "still hasn't cleared, still hasn't cleared" (player actually cleared the key 2 times).
I was working with a rookie official and he called a 3 sec. violation that this guy may have influenced.
Then he went to counting loudly, 3,4,5... I turned to him as I'm heading back down court and said "coach, don't do any more counting."
In hind sight, I could have said, "Can you do your A,B,C's, too?"
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Art N
Yesterday, I had one of "those " coaches who was yelliing about 3 seconds call. He started with the coaches mantra, "3 seconds, 3 seconds", and then progressed to the more direct, "still hasn't cleared, still hasn't cleared" (player actually cleared the key 2 times).
I was working with a rookie official and he called a 3 sec. violation that this guy may have influenced.
Then he went to counting loudly, 3,4,5... I turned to him as I'm heading back down court and said "coach, don't do any more counting."
In hind sight, I could have said, "Can you do your A,B,C's, too?"
"I hear you, and I'll look. But, everytime you start counting, I lose track and have to start over."
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 11:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

the "Davism" for this is......

"Glad to see all those years of watching Sesame Street are finally paying off."

or
"Coach, we already know your I.Q. You don't have to keep yelling it out."

or
"When you get to 11 do you have to take your shoes off?"
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

OK--I'm a rookie official and all, but I have to ask a question here. I give you all permission to laugh and make fun and point fingers at me, but do you people seriously say these things to coaches??? Can you do your A, B, C's too -- that's great!!! I mean, if presented with the right face and tone of voice, I could actually see them being effective here and there. But I'm not sure if these are serious things we just joke about or if we're actually suggesting sayings for actual use. Some one help me out!!!
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

You're right it depends on the situation.

In rec league, go for it.

In actual HS play, probably not, unless you are very very sure it won't blow up at you.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Silence cannot be miss quoted.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Danvrapp
OK--I'm a rookie official and all, but I have to ask a question here. I give you all permission to laugh and make fun and point fingers at me, but do you people seriously say these things to coaches??? Can you do your A, B, C's too -- that's great!!! I mean, if presented with the right face and tone of voice, I could actually see them being effective here and there. But I'm not sure if these are serious things we just joke about or if we're actually suggesting sayings for actual use. Some one help me out!!!
You might use these when you and coach are the only two who can hear it. Maybe, "Hey, coach, I'm not trying to show you up and say stuff like, 'Do you know your ABC's?', so about you keep the counting to yourself so it doesn't affect our REAL counting!"
Yes, we are also having fun on line here, it's our therapy. Someone pass the hot cocoa and cookies....
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 04:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Yes, we are also having fun on line here, it's our therapy. Someone pass the hot cocoa and cookies....

....and the Prozac.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2001, 11:35am
Suppref

Regards to Dave..

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

....and the Prozac.
I have a confession to make. I stole a Davism and used it in a 5th grade boys game. A1's feet slipped on the floor (slippery dusty floor) with his initial move, after he picked up the dribble he shuffled 2 or 3 time, now I have a traveling violation. Coach A jumps up like he sat on a tack. "You can't call that on these kids, there only in 5th grade". Bing, light bulb goes off. I say " You know what coach you're right, wait here." I go to my bag take out the rule book and a pencil, and in a loud clear voice so the whole gym could here, tell him scratch out the rules he doesn't want enforced and we'll go from there. I sat on the table and waited. The site director was on the book, and with tears in his eyes he says," Supp, that was beautiful". Meanwhile the coach hasn't moved since I handed the items to him, I don't even think he took a breath. I then asked if he was ready to play on. He handed the book back to me and said" I'm sorry" The remainder of the game he said absolutely nothing. Mark, Please Give a heartfelt "Thank You" to Dave for me. And keep posting more ammunition.