The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Can two different players shoot the free throws for a technical foul? ie, A1 shoots first throw and misses so coach puts A2 at the line to shoot 2nd throw. How about A1 shoots first throw and misses so coach subs A6 in to shoot 2nd throw?

thaanks

shont
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shont
Can two different players shoot the free throws for a technical foul? ie, A1 shoots first throw and misses so coach puts A2 at the line to shoot 2nd throw. How about A1 shoots first throw and misses so coach subs A6 in to shoot 2nd throw?

thaanks

shont
yes
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 03:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by shont

thaanks

shont
yes
In Fed games...but not in NCAA games - same shooter shoots both in NCAA games...
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 05:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
GOt a rule reference?
NF 8-3. Attempting Technical-Foul Free Throws

.....The coach or captain shall designate the free
thrower(s).

The fact that it says "thrower(s)" indicates there can be more than one during the two free throws.

However, no more than one player can attempt a single free throw.

Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

That's just your interp, Mark. I don't see anything in the Fed book that prevents it so it must be legal. You and Bruce may call the shots for the TBA, but out here in NFHS-land, we have the Lord High Rules Committee, and that's who we submit to. Look on their website. Do you see any interp or memo that prevents more than one player from attempting a single free throw? Of course not. Because they never intended to make it illegal. I mean, let's use some common sense here, what rule fundamental is violated by letting more than one player attempt a single free throw? You're just being overly officious if you try to make this rule hold up. Let 'em play, I say! Try not to interrupt the flow of the game. Don't be so over-controlling!
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

That's just your interp, Mark. I don't see anything in the Fed book that prevents it so it must be legal. You and Bruce may call the shots for the TBA, but out here in NFHS-land, we have the Lord High Rules Committee, and that's who we submit to. Look on their website. Do you see any interp or memo that prevents more than one player from attempting a single free throw? Of course not. Because they never intended to make it illegal. I mean, let's use some common sense here, what rule fundamental is violated by letting more than one player attempt a single free throw? You're just being overly officious if you try to make this rule hold up. Let 'em play, I say! Try not to interrupt the flow of the game. Don't be so over-controlling!
Juulie - you must be really bored.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Juulie - you must be really bored.
...and lovin' it!
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Juulie's body has been taken over by the spirit of Nevadaref. Call the exorcist.

Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Quote:

Juulie's body has been taken over by the spirit of Nevadaref. Call the exorcist.

LOL!
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What if there's a FT violation on the defensive team, and the FT misses?
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 05:46pm
M.A.S.H.

I haven't seen this yet (I would use the word "never", but I know that'd do me in the next game I call). Wonder how much the crowd would be barking if I coach did this!
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 06:24pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:

What if there's a FT violation on the defensive team, and the FT misses?
Since there's no one on the lane, the violation would have to be for a player breaking the three point line or coming below the free throw line extended. That's really, really, really dumb on a technical free throw since there can't be any rebound.

There is at least one other way a defensive player can violate on a technical free throw. Any guesses?
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 06:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
There is at least one other way a defensive player can violate on a technical free throw. Any guesses?
Disconcertion.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

No one's answered my question yet, though.

So much for sparking interest and getting people to look through the rulebook.