Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Re: This should never happen.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I am sorry, but if someone does this to me on a foul call, they better be prepared to get bitched out by me at an intermission or after the game. There is no way anyone should try to change a call of another official on a foul!!!! You made the call, stick with it. This has nothing to do with getting it right or wrong, this has to do with credibility. Do you know how many calls that I miss or I think my partners miss during a game. And when you miss one (and depending on who the call went against, they think you missed it anyway), if your partner comes over and changes this, the coaches and players will want us to do this all the time. Officiating is a sales job more than anything, and we have to look confident in what we do at all times, when we do not, we undermine our authority and our calls. If you call a PC foul, you have already signaled the foul before you get to the table, no one should make or even expect you to change that then. The only help you should give a partner on a foul is tell him or her, the "basket counted" or "he was not shooting." Other than that you should not try to change calls in doing so, just give that person information to help them make a decision. It would not be the end of the world if they did what they felt. If you disagree that much, tell them after the game is over or at halftime.
If I'm a coach and ask you, "Sir, the player lost the ball before he charged into my player. Don't I get a 1 & 1." And you won't even go so far as to check with your partner...looks like I'm getting a technical!

AND, if I'm your partner...well, I don't really like salesmen anyway...

I think Tony is right-on considering this one.

Old Thu Feb 22, 2001, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

One thing is for certain, the eye in the sky doesn't lie. If the official calls a PC, the worst thing is he kicked the call. If he has a PC and your partner tells you the ball was gone before contact, you change the call and the worst you have is the call is correct. The game situation should decide if you go to your partner. I don't think credibility is hurt. But you only want to be changing a call once in a game. close game-get it right. If the outcome of the game is already decided-let it go. I do agree that if you have already reported it to the table then let it go.