The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

BJV game last night. Coach complained about a no call when a ball was unintentionally kicked. He called a TO and asked me why it was not called. When I explained the kick must be intentional he insisted that if a team gains an advantage the kick must be called. We agreed to disagree on that. Later in the game I called a foul on one of his players for displacing an opponent he was boxing out (he drove him from the basket to the foul line). The coach again complained that his player was boxing out and it is not a foul. As I was walking back after reporting the foul the coach yells at me to "learn the rules." It was hard to keep from laughing as I called to T.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:19pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
We agreed to disagree on that.
I do this a lot!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David M
BJV game last night. Coach complained about a no call when a ball was unintentionally kicked. He called a TO and asked me why it was not called. When I explained the kick must be intentional he insisted that if a team gains an advantage the kick must be called. We agreed to disagree on that. Later in the game I called a foul on one of his players for displacing an opponent he was boxing out (he drove him from the basket to the foul line). The coach again complained that his player was boxing out and it is not a foul. As I was walking back after reporting the foul the coach yells at me to "learn the rules." It was hard to keep from laughing as I called to T.
Last night during the game I'm the Trail and the Lead calls a foul on the defense and the ball went in the basket. I signal to my partner that the ball went in. My partner counted the basket, but before the free throw the defensive coach calls time and claims that my partner called it on the floor and not shooting and that I couldn't over rule. I agreed and said I was merely giving my partner some information and it was really up to him and not me. Coach wasted a whole time out over this.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 03:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307

Last night during the game I'm the Trail and the Lead calls a foul on the defense and the ball went in the basket. I signal to my partner that the ball went in.
You should only do this if your partner asks you if the ball went in or not. Your story is a good example of why this is so.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Last night during the game I'm the Trail and the Lead calls a foul on the defense and the ball went in the basket. I signal to my partner that the ball went in.
You should only do this if your partner asks you if the ball went in or not. Your story is a good example of why this is so.
He did.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You should tell your partner the ball went through. You shouldn't signal anything (here) or tell your partner anything like "it's good."

As soon as you tell your partner the information, s/he should signal the made basket, or wipe it off.

Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
No need to wait to be asked on whether the ball went in or not. You are not making a determination if it is "good" or not...merely advising your partner that the ball went in.

He will decide if it will count or not.

This way he will have all the information needed to not look silly at the table as he reports. This is not considered some sort of unsolicited advice from a partner.

OOPs, I just scrolled down.....yeah what Bob said!
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 07:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
You should tell your partner the ball went through. You shouldn't signal anything (here) or tell your partner anything like "it's good."

As soon as you tell your partner the information, s/he should signal the made basket, or wipe it off.

I had a partner a few weeks ago that told me a shot went in. Problem was, it didn't. I know, because I saw the shot fall off the front of the rim.

Instead of getting into it with him, I went to the third (his regular partner) who made a little face and said "of course it didn't go in."

If my partner doesn't count it AT THE SPOT, I'm finding him on the way to the table to tell him the ball went in. As others have said, what he chooses to do with that information is up to him.

--Rich
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 08:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking I just could not resist.

Quote:
I had a partner a few weeks ago that told me a shot went in. Problem was, it didn't. I know, because I saw the shot fall off the front of the rim.

Instead of getting into it with him, I went to the third (his regular partner) who made a little face and said "of course it didn't go in."

If my partner doesn't count it AT THE SPOT, I'm finding him on the way to the table to tell him the ball went in. As others have said, what he chooses to do with that information is up to him.

--Rich [/B]
I thought the Lead official was not supposed to look at the basket?

Peace
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

It's better than having to come and check with the scorer's table . . .

Oy, that was a bad moment for that crew.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Rut

Lets not go down the road with that discussion again!
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 12:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Rut

Lets not go down the road with that discussion again!
If you cannot have fun, then why live life.

Peace