Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
I was wondering as a relatively new referee, when the ball goes out of bounds, I always stick my hand up first to stop the clock, then point in the direction of the ball. Most referees I work with just point without first raising their hand. Is one method more proper than the other? How many of you just point?
That depends on what level you are working (or your area). In NF and NCAA Men's basketball, you are supposed to raise your hand first. If you are working NCAA Women's, you can point. I am going to assume that you are working mainly NF mechanics, so you need to do what the NF advocates. You are probably not experienced enough to start varying from the proper mechanics. You probably see more veterans just pointing. You are not going to be judged the same.

Peace
Isn't it NCCA Womens and NFHS that put the hand up on OOB, and NCAA mens where it's optional to use the stop the clock signal??
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
I was wondering as a relatively new referee, when the ball goes out of bounds, I always stick my hand up first to stop the clock, then point in the direction of the ball. Most referees I work with just point without first raising their hand. Is one method more proper than the other? How many of you just point?
I've caught myself doing this lately. I know in Iowa they mentioned this in a recent memo to officials, pointing out that it's the women's NCAA mechanic, and that the proper NFHS mechanic is to raise the hand to stop the clock. I'm trying to get back to the proper way (I'll never fix it if I don't do any more games).
I've also caught myself using my finger instead of pointing with the whole hand. Bad bad bad.
I've never seen men's NCAA officials stopping the clock first, either.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Quote:
I've caught myself doing this lately. I know in Iowa they mentioned this in a recent memo to officials, pointing out that it's the women's NCAA mechanic, and that the proper NFHS mechanic is to raise the hand to stop the clock. I'm trying to get back to the proper way (I'll never fix it if I don't do any more games).
I've also caught myself using my finger instead of pointing with the whole hand. Bad bad bad.
I've never seen men's NCAA officials stopping the clock first, either.
You might be right. They did mention that the officials seen on tv using this mechanic are using the technology that stops the clock with the whistle.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

If you look in this year's mechanics book (Men's CCA) they clearly state that you have to stop the clock first, and then give the direction. In the past it said it did not matter, but for some reason this year they made it clear this mechanic (just the pointing) was not what they wanted. What you see on TV does not apply, because those officials are not judged by the preciseness of their mechanics. They are judged by their calls. When you see a lot of those guys on national TV, they are very accomplished official. You cannot use them as the model for mechanics in most cases. I was told by one D1 official, "You are not Teddy Higgins. You cannot do what he does." He said that in a very joking way. But I got the point.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why do you consider this bad?

I understand the palm & point - it's in the mechanics manual - but does the manual say to point with the whole hand? (Or is this just a local thing?)
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If you look in this year's mechanics book (Men's CCA) they clearly state that you have to stop the clock first, and then give the direction. In the past it said it did not matter, but for some reason this year they made it clear this mechanic (just the pointing) was not what they wanted.
CCA might be trying to emphasize it this year, but in D-I games (televised or not) I have yet to see it on a regular basis on either the men's or women's side.
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
CCA might be trying to emphasize it this year, but in D-I games (televised or not) I have yet to see it on a regular basis on either the men's or women's side.
Well this has been the proper Women's mechanic for as long as I remember. It is not "allowed" in the Men's game. But as I stated before, what you see on TV does not always apply to what is in the book. The assignors seem to not really care what their officials do if they are getting calls and rules right.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 11:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Why do you consider this bad?

I understand the palm & point - it's in the mechanics manual - but does the manual say to point with the whole hand? (Or is this just a local thing?)
Well it is considered bad in my area or state. The picture shows clearly a full palm pointing, not a finger or two pointing. I am sure some areas do not make it a big deal. I know that it does not help you here if you are not using the same mechanics as illustrated by the NF Official's Manual or any variations stated by the IHSA Office.

Peace