Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
There's a story around here from a few years ago. Rivalry game, home wins by 4. Home players decide to celebrate by doing pull-ups on the rim. Ref calls four T's. Visitor makes 5 of the 8 shots. Refs had to have security for their drive home.
Wow, that's a tough one. What was the general consensus on that one, Juulie? Did they get backed or dumped on by their own association?
Backed up. I think it was interpreted as unsportsmanlike, taunting, as you described. Ref recognized that number of points could change the game, so called it, and then went into the Federal Witness Protection Program. [/B]
This is a true story and the refs were supported. However, it should be know that it was NOT a varsity game. I belive it was a Freshman or JV game. [/B][/QUOTE]

Really?!?! Well, that changes everything. Would people around here feel differently if it were varsity? Jurassic, what would you think?
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There's a story around here from a few years ago. Rivalry game, home wins by 4. Home players decide to celebrate by doing pull-ups on the rim. Ref calls four T's. Visitor makes 5 of the 8 shots. Refs had to have security for their drive home.
Wow, that's a tough one. What was the general consensus on that one, Juulie? Did they get backed or dumped on by their own association?
Backed up. I think it was interpreted as unsportsmanlike, taunting, as you described. Ref recognized that number of points could change the game, so called it, and then went into the Federal Witness Protection Program.
This is a true story and the refs were supported. However, it should be know that it was NOT a varsity game. I belive it was a Freshman or JV game. [/B]
Really?!?! Well, that changes everything. Would people around here feel differently if it were varsity? [/B][/QUOTE]

No.

But I would be surprised to find 4 kids who could grab the rim on a typical (or even above typical) freshman or even jv team.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 02:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

It seems this could have been avoided by sticking the 1st guy with a T to let the next three copycats know the penalty. Sometimes, though, it happens too fast.
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Really?!?! Well, that changes everything. Would people around here feel differently if it were varsity? Jurassic, what would you think? [/B][/QUOTE]I think that I'm glad that the guys were backed up after the fact. That's a heckuva tough call to make, but if they felt that the call had to be made because of unsporting conduct/taunting concerns, then they should be backed to the hilt. They were the people on the spot- not the ones' sitting here tapping away on a keyboard. Sometimes, it boils down to whather we or our customers actually believe in some of the tenets of sportsmanship, or whether we just pay lip service to it.

Camron, did the school that had the T's called on them put in an official complaint of any kind against the referees?
Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Really?!?! Well, that changes everything. Would people around here feel differently if it were varsity? Jurassic, what would you think? [/B]
I think that I'm glad that the guys were backed up after the fact. That's a heckuva tough call to make, but if they felt that the call had to be made because of unsporting conduct/taunting concerns, then they should be backed to the hilt. They were the people on the spot- not the ones' sitting here tapping away on a keyboard. Sometimes, it boils down to whather we or our customers actually believe in some of the tenets of sportsmanship, or whether we just pay lip service to it.

Camron, did the school that had the T's called on them put in an official complaint of any kind against the referees? [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know for sure but I'd be confident that if they did the officials would have been supported. Our commissioner mentioned at a subsequent association meeting under the topic of officials jursidiction....that the T's were still callable even though time had expired.